Endlers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Smoked

Aquarium Advice Activist
Just picked up some endlers from local fish store while on vacation. Males are defiantly black bar females where labeled female endlers. Asked the owner and he said he bought them as endlers so as far as he knows they are but not sure which stain. None are pre hit so the males I have will be the fathers. I know they can never be more than K class but it's nice to finally have my own. In a month or so going to have way to many. Now to make the 2,000 mile trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

As soon as I get back home and put them in there new home I will post pictures.

Yea me either. I mean of course online you can find them but it cost so much for shipping. This is the first time this LFS has had them. I found a few black bar males awhile back at petsmart mixed in with cobra endlers but none survived. These weren't cheap, males 2.98 each and females 3.98 each but without the price of shipping it was ok. Hope I get a black bar colony soon.

I was surprised my slowly-going-saltwater-only LFS had endlers when I stopped by. They charged $2.99 for a male/female pair, and they were of the "lime green" looking variety. Added them as my starter fish for my 29 gallon and 4 days later there were already ~10 fry swimming around.

That's a good price and congrats on the new fry.

That's a good price and congrats on the new fry.

Not sure it's a congratulatory thing :p I have a bunch now in a tank that's probably not really cycled. Apparently 3 endlers in a 29 gallon tank isn't really enough to start producing much ammonia, so they might help with that.

I'm more worried about what to do with them eventually and how to not be overrun by them.

Not sure it's a congratulatory thing :p I have a bunch now in a tank that's probably not really cycled. Apparently 3 endlers in a 29 gallon tank isn't really enough to start producing much ammonia, so they might help with that.

I'm more worried about what to do with them eventually and how to not be overrun by them.

Yeah they don't produce a whole lot of waste. I keep breeding colonies in 10 gallon tanks and have no water issues.

As far as keeping fry in check I suggest stocking some fish that will eat them (if the "circle of life" doesn't bother you) You could also sell or give away some.

Your LFS price was pretty good. I've been thinking of breeding lime green endlers.

So an update. Out of the 3 males and 3 females I originally bought only 2 females survived. The set up I had didn't accommodate for the hot temp and they couldn't handle it. So I bought 2 more females and 2 males. All made they 3 day trip fine. Got them home and within a hour there was 3 fry in the container with them. I pulled the female out that was the biggest. I previously thought they where not hit because of the age of the fish and the size. But I was wrong. The female that I pulled out died a few hours before I assume from giving birth which I have had happen before. But only 3 fry where born. Never seen such a small number. But on a good note if they survive I will be able to tell if the female are actually Endlers if there is a male baby and not have to wait.

Another update. Put all fish in a 10 gallon tank with a sponge filter. And me being me I like to add a little aquarium salt not much. We'll one of the females died I am assuming because she did not tolerate the salt to well. The other 2 females and 2 males are doing fine. I decided to put the new fry in the tank with them because I don't have a lot of space. Much to my surprise the adults leave then alone. It's been over 24 hours since I put them in and was unable to find them. Just checked and they where swimming right around the adults just fine.if that was any of my guppy tanks they would have been eating already.

Another update. Put all fish in a 10 gallon tank with a sponge filter. And me being me I like to add a little aquarium salt not much. We'll one of the females died I am assuming because she did not tolerate the salt to well. The other 2 females and 2 males are doing fine. I decided to put the new fry in the tank with them because I don't have a lot of space. Much to my surprise the adults leave then alone. It's been over 24 hours since I put them in and was unable to find them. Just checked and they where swimming right around the adults just fine.if that was any of my guppy tanks they would have been eating already.

For the most part Endlers will not eat their fry. Usually they drop fry soon after light out so it's a good idea to feed them lightly before that time. All my fry are born and live in the colony tank with many others and grow out just fine. Congrats!

This is my first time with endlers. I've done a lot of reading up on them and a lot of topics say they don't eat their fry. Like I said with my guppies that is next to impossible. Guess I had to see it for my self.

This is my first time with endlers. I've done a lot of reading up on them and a lot of topics say they don't eat their fry. Like I said with my guppies that is next to impossible. Guess I had to see it for my self.

They are really neat little fish, I have two colonies going now and enjoy watching them. If you can get your hands on some decapsulated brine shrimp eggs they will go nuts over them. (also great for the fry and bringing out color)

Does anyone know if Endler's are sensitive to salt?

I don't know, I know guppies can do with out but they are fine with it as well. I have lost a guppy or two before shortly after adding salt. I think some just don't like it. But Endlers on the other had I'm not sure this is my first time. I have read that people add aquarium salt and they are fine. Also that in some of their native habitats they have contact with salt water occasionally. So I'm not sure maybe I need to get ahold of Adrian and find out.

I don't know, I know guppies can do with out but they are fine with it as well. I have lost a guppy or two before shortly after adding salt. I think some just don't like it. But Endlers on the other had I'm not sure this is my first time. I have read that people add aquarium salt and they are fine. Also that in some of their native habitats they have contact with salt water occasionally. So I'm not sure maybe I need to get ahold of Adrian and find out.

I was just curious because I have a school of them and just had to add salt to my tank. I hope they're ok!

As a whole I don't think that it bothers them. But might be a few individual fish that might not like it.

We'll this is the last update I think. Up until a few days ago still had 2 female and 2 male plus the 3 fry. One of the females was acting kinda strange pulled her out and put her in quarantine tank. She did not survive the night. Went back to check on the rest and the other female was acting the same way. Pulled her out and she soon developed a sore by her vent. I treated the tank but was to late she didn't make the night either. The 2 male I have been watching like crazy and both are completely fine. And the 3 fry which are about a month old now are growing at a amazing rate are completely fine. Still to small to sex though. I might pull the males out and put them in my all male guppy tank and just let the fry be to see how they turn out. I can't believe this I have never had so much trouble with any fish I have keep over the years. But this had been devastating.

Back
Top Bottom