Endler's Livebearers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Skunky

Aquarium Advice Regular
My 5 gal desktop tank is nearing the end of its fishless cycling, and I am strongly considering E. livebearers to reside in it. They are small, colorful and seem quite interesting, personality-wise.

BUT, my lfs does not have them. I've looked several times. The online "window shopping" I've done has proved disappointing because they seem to be sold as breeding pairs or trios.

This is a small tank. I do not want fry until I get my 29 gallon going--and that might not be for a month or two.

Does anyone know how I can buy just males, you know, like with guppies?

Also, I'd like the wild type, called N class? I don't want any that have mated with guppies, unless i can't get the pure strain.

Thanks!! I hope somebody knows something about this and can advise me.

Yes feeder guppies are used as feeder fish for oscars and other aggressive fish. I found a tank of endlers at petsmart so if you want to get some you can probably find some there. There were only males there. N class are hard to come by because those are fish that can be traced back to the original strains created by the breeders. Most endlers you will find will be p class which means they are unidentified but still look like endlers and may be crossbred.

Thanks for your reply. I have looked in my local petsmart, but they don't have the Endler's. It's not a large store, and so I'll probably have to drive quite a bit to find a better store. Thank you!

if you want a true strain of endlers you may have to find a true LFS for that, or even order online. Petsmart here sells them, but they could not verify if they were true strains or hybrids or what. and my newb knowledge of them didnt help. I have three in my guppy tank and couldnt tell you, but yes they are interesting fish :)

I saw endlers offered here on the classified board recently. I was still cycling a tank and wasn't ready to purchase at the time though. I think there are a few people here who breed them - maybe post in the classified section that you are looking for endlers?

I've also seen them advertised on aqua bid and some of the online fish stores, although shipping can be costly. I've not been able to find them in any of our local fish stores so will have to look online (or here) when I'm ready to purchase.

I saw endlers offered here on the classified board recently. I was still cycling a tank and wasn't ready to purchase at the time though. I think there are a few people here who breed them - maybe post in the classified section that you are looking for endlers?

I've also seen them advertised on aqua bid and some of the online fish stores, although shipping can be costly. I've not been able to find them in any of our local fish stores so will have to look online (or here) when I'm ready to purchase.
Thanks so much for the info. I checked out the classified board, and that's when I found out they are sold as pairs or trios. Right now, Aqua Bid doesn't have any--well as of last night.

The search goes on! My tank is really ready right now, but I'll keep it on auto pilot until I get the fish I want.

There is one more fish store in my area--one that has been in business here since before I was born (and that's a long time)--to check out tomorrow. The three I went to today did not have them. I asked one guy if they could be ordered, and he said he could try but it is unpredictable. The heck with that!

I live in a really out of the way area. Shoot, I can't even get any decent plants here. Where I lived 5 years ago? There was a huge, beautiful aquarium store--you know, the kind of our dreams :) I sold a lot of betta babies to them for supplies. They were great.

ETA: You are right that I should post a "wanted" in the classified. I will do this now. Thank you very much!

I tried to post a "wanted" for the endlers but could not. I got a "don't have access" message, or something along those lines. Why?

Aqua Bid is showing "pairs" and "breeding colonies." These won't work for me. I don't want to breed now. I have a 5g and am just trying to find fish that will work for this tank.

I tried to post a "wanted" for the endlers but could not. I got a "don't have access" message, or something along those lines. Why?

in some forums you have to have so many posts before you can post in their classified/for sale/wanted area. that may be the case here. You may want to find a mod and ask

Wait a few days if you just joined AA. I think you have to be a member for 15 days before you can post on the classifieds.

I didn't realize that they were mostly sold as pairs or breeding colonies.
I wonder if maybe someone here would be willing to sell just males?

Back
Top Bottom