Endlers temp tolerance

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

acpart

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have an indoor/outdoor pond (in a tub). The pond is outside between June and October. Since the pond moved inside I acquired some endlers which are doing very well. When the pond is inside I use a heater set to 76º. When it's outside I don't use a heater and there are some cold days during the early and late days of the outside time. I have had giant danios, red eyed tetras and neon rosy barbs which have done well in all the temperatures year-round. By contrast, I got some albino cory catfish last summer which did fine during the summer but all died when the weather got colder in October before I could move the tank in. I didn't measure the temp but it probably got down to the low '60's. The question is whether the endlers will be tolerant of occasional low temp days like the fish that survived, or intolerant like the corys. Any idea?

Aliza

Endlers should be cared for just like guppies. Guppies are very sturdy fish, a guppy is tolerant of about 65 - 86 degrees. Your danios and barbs are about the same.

Cories are usually less tolerant than guppies, your tetras are about the same as cories. About 72 to 86 degrees. All of the fish on your list are tropical and really should not be kept in 60 degree water. Just because they survived doesn't mean they should be kept there.

Thanks for your reply. That was exactly what I wanted to know. There are relatively few days when the water temperature is as low as 60º --it's just a question of some maverick New England days. Most of the days that the "pond" is outside are summery. In the winter, when the pond is inside I use a heater. I am considering using the heater for those cold outside days as well.

Aliza

Back
Top Bottom