Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-24-2011, 05:48 PM   #1
Mog
Aquarium Advice Regular

Enough oxygen in the water? Fish seem like they are gasping a little (freshly stocked

Hi,

I finally cycled my 75g tank and had the pleasure of introducing a few fish to the tank.

One thing I'm concerned about, is the amount of oxygen in the water. I have a fluval 304 and the output is about an inch under water... there's some surface movement, but not sure I would say there is a lot. I have a 3 Bolivian Rams and they seem like they are breathing rather quick. This may be due to stress and being introduced to a new tank, but I wanted to make sure it's not due to lack of oxygen.

I also have some Albino Cory's that make an occasional dash to the surface, there is some flake food floating and want to make sure they are going for food and it's not an oxygen issue as well.

I have 10 plants and 2 pieces of driftwood.

How can I make sure there is enough oxygen in the water for my new fish?

Thanks!

Old 04-24-2011, 05:50 PM   #2
Dividing by 0
Community Admin

POTM Champion

If the top of the tank is unobstructed, and the water temp is not crazy high, chances are you are fine.

fort384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 05:55 PM   #3
Mog
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thanks
The top of the tank is completely unobstructed. No plants on top, no glass, etc... The Rams just seem like they are gasping/breathing a lot faster than they were in the lfs. I would rather be safe than sorry
Old 04-24-2011, 06:05 PM   #4

Mine did too at first. You should be fine. They adjust
Old 04-24-2011, 06:29 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

My cories always dash up for air every so often. So that's normal as for rams, I have never owned one. But if your concerned about oxogen maybe putting in a bubble bar would easy your mind.
Old 04-24-2011, 06:32 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

A spray bar on your Fluval output would create more surface agitation if you want to go that route.

Tags
gas, gasping, oxygen

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com