Epic Problem!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JoeDaniels

Aquarium Advice Activist
I need some help badly, I went away for two days and came back today and have lost 2 fish and all my fish aren't being active at all. Before I went away I had 3 cardinal die and my betta's tail started going :/ then my male cherry barb got what looked like fungus, so I treated it. The two fish that have died since ive been away have completely disappeared and they were they yesterday I have been told. My betta is on it's way out and I also saw a few snails that weren't in there when I left. My water parameters are fine :/ All I have left in my tank now is 1 cardinal, I cherry barb, 1 betta, 1 rainbow shark, 1 pleco and 1 chinese algae eater. My tank is roughly 50 gal. Any suggestions ??????? Please :)

What are the parameters, what do the tests say? Any other symptoms besides lethargic? Is possible something got in the water?

My ammo is 0.25 and no2 is 0.25. My no3 is 20/40 and ph is 7.6. The reason for the 0.25 of ammo and no2 is due to me turning the filters down a little so my betta didn't get sucked in whilst I was away :/ but should return back to normal within a day or two

the flow rate of the filters shouldn't cause a spike in ammonia or no2 i don't think..How long ago was the tank fully cycled? did you clean or change the filter recently. I would do an immediate 50% WC and get your ammonia down as much as you can, and continue to keep the ammonia down till the tank gets over this cycle. I dont know for sure, but even ammonia at .25 and no2 at .25 can be very bad for fish even just for a day or two. I highly recommend large PWC till the tank is cycled.

+1 with patola l. all those fish dieing is most likely the cause for your spikes and not the filters flow rate.
I've forgotten to turn my filters back on after a PWC for up to 3 days without any spikes.
I think you had the problem before you went away, since you stated that you lost 3 of your fish even before you left. And that your Betta and Cherry Barb were also ill.
Do you know what caused the fungus? If it was stress, it could be what is killing everyone. When you do you Big PWC not only add Prime but start using a stress coat of some kind. It may be to late but it's always worth a try.

The slight spike could be down to dead fish being in the tank. As you don't know when they died it could have been as you walked out the door for two days. A friend and I have has problems with fish die which we hope has been resolved by adding oxygen to the tank. If you lowered the flow of the filter the water would move less and would not oxygenate better. At night live plants give off CO2 which lowers the oxygen too. Not sure where abouts in the world you may be but I fine change in air pressure or air temp makes a difference to oxygen levels too. Not sure if this is true but seems to be the case with me.

Back
Top Bottom