epoxy coated gravel safe?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tyrel

Aquarium Advice Regular
I just went to my local fish store, and was informed that the epoxy coated gravel ive bought is not safe. They say the coating will wear off, and the gravel will start affecting the cemistry of my water. What are your thoughts on this? (its not bright blue or anything, its made of of natral tans and browns.)

EDIT: Are polyester resin decorations safe at all?

i've had a betta in a tank that has bright blue (lol) epoxy gravel. he and it has been in there for over two years and he's still fine, as well as the water.

The misinformation passed off by lfs never ceases to amaze me! :roll:

Epoxy-coated gravel is perfectly safe, and the colored coating will never wear off. Even the loud, day-glo colored gravel is safe! :rainbowafro:

I've read that you shouldn't boil it because the coating will soften, and you'll be left with a large useless fused lump. However, I have washed black epoxy-coated gravel in very hot tap water with no ill effects. I've even washed the stuff in 5% bleach - no problem.

The resin ornaments are safe for your water too, so long as the label says aquarium safe.
However, I despise them for several reasons.
First, many resin ornaments are hollow, and often contain sharp inner surfaces and narrow spaces where fish can become trapped. I've lost a few corys to a hollow resin log.
Second, the paint invariably scratches off over time. It's non-toxic, but after a short while, the ornament looks cruddy.

Ok, thanks you guys. I can understand why the fish store told me that.They are kind of.... all natural...purists. Very nice and helpful though!

Their arguement is not TOTALLY off the wall. The epoxy coating IS slowly wearing off of my gravel. But is is not causing any problems.

Its safe...but is it tasteful?

(sorry, I'm just very much a 'naturalist' when it comes to aquarium appearance. if you like neon gravel, go for it! its your tank!)

malkore said:
Its safe...but is it tasteful?

(sorry, I'm just very much a 'naturalist' when it comes to aquarium appearance. if you like neon gravel, go for it! its your tank!)

No! Its not neon :roll: It's made up of beatiful riverbed tans and browns. Didn't I already mention that? :wink:

I bought black epoxy gravel for my planted 55 gal beacuse the colors would be great. As soon as I started washing the gravel it started coming after a bit. Now in my 4 month old tank, its dotted with white gravel partially black gravel and some black. It looks horrible. It was Top Fin "Premuim". So much for premuim.

Quality epoxy-coated gravel is not only safe, but should last for years....the new Marina stuff is very nice, and probably the most intense (particularly the black) that I have seen.

I am not sure what brand mine is, but the balck has lasted nicely on it and it still looks great after 2 years.

Never again!! Destroyed my tank, equipment, and bucket!!! AHHHHHHHHH

This is my horre story.

I got a tank from my girlfriend because someone just gave it to her. It came with a some neon blue and black gravel. No knowing where this tank had come from I decided I would boil the rocks because I really didn't want to use bleach or other cleaning agents. My pot is now bright blue. But the gravel looked still blue so I was like ehh it's clean.

I put it in the tank and inside a week of just cycling the tank. NOTHING but rocks in this tank. The walls turned blue, the rocks kept fading... And no matter when I did I could not get it off.

No if the rocks are not naturally colored. I'm not touching them ever again and don't recommend any one else does ether.

I had blue gravel in my 5 gal for years. When I got my 30 gal I gave it to my daughter who "just added fish" to the same setting. We never had a problem, it still looks as blue as when we got it.

But I remember that when we washed it for the first time (for several hours) the bucket walls and MY HANDS turned blue!!!! :roll:

[quote="

No if the rocks are not naturally colored.[/quote]

well. mine are naturally colored, and since I havent heard any stories about chemical change, then i'll probably use them.

If anyone objects to this gravel, speak now or forever hold your peace.

Could also be that your LFS is wanting you to buy their product as well, and get rid of the epoxy-coated gravel. Don't listen to then there, it's perfectly safe. Have it in mine for a year now, and no sign of any of it coming off or disolving.

I do have a question too. As for black gravel, does it look good solid black, or is there any other colors that would look good with it as a mixture, and what mixtures would you recommend? Was looking at a little white with black, at say 70% black, and 30% white.

Jeff

Lonewolfblue said:
I do have a question too. As for black gravel, does it look good solid black, or is there any other colors that would look good with it as a mixture, and what mixtures would you recommend? Was looking at a little white with black, at say 70% black, and 30% white.

Jeff

Well, it depends what fish you want to show. Ill bet light colored fish would look awsome on black gravel, and darker ones would show up better on a lighter gravel.

I got 2 fire eels, red tail shark, rainbow shark, bala shark, albino rainbow shark, golden dojo loach, regular dojo loach, chinese algae eaters, bolivian ram.

Current gravel is browns and tans, but getting a 75G tank in a couple weeks for the eels, loaches, and bala. Not sure if I want the same for the new tank. Was looking at black with some white, or the opposite, white or off-white, with some black.

Back
Top Bottom