Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-15-2005, 03:52 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Eradicating Snails

I'm tearing down my 24 gal. to move the fish into a bigger tank. I want to transfer the live plants and decorations to the new tank but I want to kill any snail eggs there might be. The snail population (both ramshorn and trumpet) is getting heavy in the tank and I don't want snails introduced to the new tank. I have enough live and healthy plants that I won't be purchasing any new. What can I bath the plants and decorations in to kill the eggs??

Old 08-15-2005, 04:07 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Most anything you use to "bath" the plants, gravel, and decor in will most likely kill off your beneficial bacteria too, I think. And you will have to clean your filter well also since baby snails and eggs can be found in there as well. So you would most likely have to go through a cycle with your new tank. If you don't mind that.....then I would clean everything with a bleach solution. They also sell copper stuff to kill off snails but will probably also kill your plants.

But if you don't want to go through a cycle with the new tank then I would just do lots of heavy gravel vacs. And then use the bait and catch method. Put a big piece of zuchinni or some other veggie in tank and wait for it to fill it up with snails then toss and repeat. Also cut down on the amount of food you feed to your fish for awhile. This should help reduce the population for when you transfer everything over to the new tank.

How big will the new tank be? If its big enough you might want to add a severum or some clown loaches to keep the snails in check.

Old 08-15-2005, 04:47 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to flipz
hey bbrown,

i don't know anything about your setup, but in my opinion the best way to get rid of them would be to introduce a fish that eats them!

here is a great thread that talks about your different options.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=58630

good luck.

-brent
Old 08-15-2005, 08:20 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Unfortunately you have one prolific breeding snail in the ramshorn. Since they are asexual, there are probably eggs everywhere in your tank. Even if you removed every visible snail, the eggs (which are cleverly hidden) will survive and there will be more.

Without having a snail munching fish like a nice loach, you will be chasing snails around forever. When I got my first plants, I counted 5 ramshorns that hitchhiked. I now have tons of them and I remove quite a few at each water change. My niece mistakenly threw one into my other tank...just one... and I've been removing those for the past several months as well. There is one walking along my HOB's intake tube as I'm writing this.
Old 08-16-2005, 08:57 AM   #5

i don't mind the snails.. of course i do have a clown loach, but i have MTS and i think they are really good for the gravel.. since i got them my water has been or seemed mroe crystal clear than ever. Also i just noticed a tiny ramshorn snail that must've hitchiked and i think its big enough now the clown loach didn't eat it.

Tags
snail, snails

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com