Ergh nitrites

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cheesy318

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ph 7.6
Ammonia 0
Nitrites .25
Nitrates 10-20 ppm

Nitrates have flared up since the 18th. We tested the water on the 20th and the readings were
Ph 7.6
Ammonia .25(closer to 0)
Nitrites .25
Nitrates 5ppm

What should we do? Leave it? Add Cycle?

Previously we were treating our tank for fin rot with Melafix.. our LFS sai that probably took our good bacteria...

ForumRunner_20130724_171210.jpg

Ph 7.6
Ammonia 0
Nitrites .25
Nitrates 10-20 ppm

Nitrates have flared up since the 18th. We tested the water on the 20th and the readings were
Ph 7.6
Ammonia .25(closer to 0)
Nitrites .25
Nitrates 5ppm

What should we do? Leave it? Add Cycle?

Previously we were treating our tank for fin rot with Melafix.. our LFS sai that probably took our good bacteria...

You are probably only going through a mini cycle I would imagine. Just keep an eye on it.

I don't think this tank has actually cycled yet. We got it about three weeks ago. Maybe 4 now. We filled it with water from our existing tank to jump start the cycle
We have 6fish in there now. Before adding fish everything seemed fine for numbers. No we did not add the fish all at once.

I don't think this tank has actually cycled yet. We got it about three weeks ago. Maybe 4 now. We filled it with water from our existing tank to jump start the cycle
We have 6fish in there now. Before adding fish everything seemed fine for numbers. No we did not add the fish all at once.

Hmmm then fish in cycle it is lol do you have live plants? They can help you "silent cycle"

No. Sunday before the flare up our filter quit working. I don't know for how long until we got home from work. We got a new one asap. Could that with the melafix have knocked out our bacteria? We used the same bio wheel from the broken HOB filter and filter pads

Also have a bubbler to create oxygen

No. Sunday before the flare up our filter quit working. I don't know for how long until we got home from work. We got a new one asap. Could that with the melafix have knocked out our bacteria? We used the same bio wheel from the broken HOB filter and filter pads

Also have a bubbler to create oxygen

I would say it could have contributed. Honestly you should invest in some ceramic rings or some other bio material.

I know....I'm don't very impressed with HOB. Especially after it quit working after 3 weeksWe have an Aqueon canister filter for our Other tank.

I thought the bio wheel was ther ceramic rings. But the more I think about it the more I want ceramic rings

I wish I had a canister lol stuck with hob. The biowheel is probably not good enough really

I plan on doing a water change tonight once my water heats up

I wish I had a canister lol stuck with hob. The biowheel is probably not good enough really

I had an eclipse 12 system for years and the biowheel works fine once the beneficial bacteria are established. That said I now run an Aquaclear 50 with ceramic biomaterial on my 29 gal display tank.

I had an eclipse 12 system for years and the biowheel works fine once the beneficial bacteria are established. That said I now run an Aquaclear 50 with ceramic biomaterial on my 29 gal display tank.

Ok well I must admit that assumption wasnt based on experience so I really dont know on that one lol thanks for letting me know they do in fact work. I have avoided those filters bc of those lol

Back
Top Bottom