Erm, Where's the plec gone???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

2cvbloke

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My mum's plec's dissapeared!!! I've moved the gravel about thinking he's hiding in it, but no joy, I've searched for ages trying to spot him, but he's just not there, do you think he's become someone's dinner???

Jchillin said:
Moved to General Discussion

Hard to tell without knowing who else is in the tank. Plecos are notorious for finding obscure hiding places.

There's a Weather loach and 3 fancy goldfish, nothing else, and it's a very open tank, he's been missing for about 4 days now... :(

I highly highly doubt it was dinner for those fish and for most fish actually. Really check the tank well. If you are worried lift stuff up and look underneath in the water. As Jchillin stated they can hide very well.
Let us know

How big is your pleco? i dun think your pleco will be someone's dinner if its size is bigger. and also hvnt u notice if your pleco acting weirdly in the pst few days? maybe it died of a disease and eventually eaten by the other fishes.

Plecos are the houdinis of the fish world. I've had a L-18 disappear for 2 weeks only to find him sucking on the side of the tank after i gave up looking for it. They hide under substrate, in obscure places in and around decor and in general can easily escape where the eye/mind can see.

I'm sure your pleco is there, just hiding for whatever reason :) You may want to try a Hikari Algae wafer or Zucchini to try to coax it out of its hiding spot :)

-Pleco

Here are some of the strange places my plecos have hidden in the past. Maybe it will help you find yours.

*behind the heater
*under the filter output edge
*behind the filter intake
*in the substrate
*in plants
*under ornaments
*inside ornaments

I have noticed that mine tend to hide where their color blends in also, making them more difficult to find. And I have had cases where they have somehow dug holes under decortations and lodged themselves inside or underneath.

It's a small plec, about an inch and a half, I'll have a look under the rock to see if he's there tomorrow...

small ones move in the most impossible places, like the top of caves, behind the filter outtake thing, stuff like that

I have a 6 inch common pleco that hides in a cave that I wouldn't think it could ever fit in! It stays in there with one of my Skunk Botia Loaches, hopefully they aren't crossbreeding. ;) Talk about a new species, 8O

My BN female also like to hide in my AC20 HOB from time to time and she is 3 inches long.

Well, dug about, took the rock out, took my filter apart (it's nearly done methinks) and looked in the sponge etc, raked the gravel with my fingers, and no sign of him, I even pulled out the plant to see if he was hiding in the roots, no joy... :(

So, I think it's been lunch for someone (I think Mr. Loach myself, he's getting big!!!) and he's gone for good... :(

Mine had somehow squirmed into a extremely narrow passageway in my sunken ship. I've only seen him once since we brought him home.

Just pulled that tank's filter apart and looked for signs of Plec Paté, but there were none, no bones, skin or flesh or anything in the sponge or "Biorbs", so again, I think he became lunch... :(

Back
Top Bottom