Ethical question...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

adamatic

Aquarium Advice Regular
Okay, here's the dilemma: I 'adopted' around a dozen baby convict cichlids that were bound for a watery grave. For the past year I've given them a good home, food and interesting rocks, etc. Perhaps too good, it turns out, as 3 pairs, yes 3 pairs, are now breeding. Usually the fry get eaten, however, it seems a few have made it to a small but healthy size. The problem, though, is that I'm running out of room in the tank. My tank was already overstocked and now it's stocking itself! My question is what to do? Convicts don't seem to be very marketable nor do people want to 'adopt'. What do you guys think?

Have you tried the lfs yet? Just give them a call and if there's not other possibiblity give them away to the lfs for free.

Try the Classifieds-Forum in here. Maybe somebody close to you wants some.

If you are trying to get rid of them and not looking to make any money, just give them to the fish stores for free.

All the fish stores will take them in.

I've already tried donating them - nobody wants convicts (ironically). Does anyone reading this want some?

Some people use convict fry as live food for other fish. You could try that route; although; it seems some of them maybe too big for that.

Menagerie said:
Some people use convict fry as live food for other fish. You could try that route; although; it seems some of them maybe too big for that.

Awww...you're always thinking of me. :p

Just get an ornate bichir...clear up that convict infestation in no time.

No fish stores in your area will take fry from you? I find that hard to believe, i have taken in fish to my LFS several times and they put them in a QT tank for a few weeks and then sell them. I mean, i never took fry in, but when i first started stocking, i got some fish that weren't really... umm.. compatible :roll: LOL... so i took them in and they took them from me.. some they didn't give me money for, some they gave me store credit.

Unfortunately Convicts are hard to get rid of in a lot of areas. My LFS will take them at times but they have a very hard time getting rid of them. They are usually dirt cheap, under a dollar, and I wouldn't be surprised if they end up making their way to other tanks in the store (feeders).

Back
Top Bottom