Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-28-2008, 10:31 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

Good news! one of the feeder fish in the crabs tank is gone today. The crab must have caught it in the night. So, apparently, it can catch live fish, and I don't have to worry about euthanizing them. Thank God!

I will try the bloodworms idea.

Thanks.

Old 09-28-2008, 02:43 PM   #12
AA Team Emeritus

There was a fair bit of controversy on whether freezing is painful or not .... I suppose you could bring down the temp slowly until the fish hibernates, and only after that do you freeze it.

However, I have a simpler suggestion ... How about getting some fish from the supermarket? I know there may be risk of parasites ... but prob no worse than the feeders. And if you get salt water fish, the SW bugs are unlikely to affect things in FW.

Old 09-28-2008, 05:33 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Well, have you tried soaking the food in garlic juice first? Garlic will entice pretty much any fish to eat.

Another option is to order frozen fish online. www.drsfostersmith.com are really great and have the lowest frozen food shipping I've found.

Other than that, I'd have to go with freezing. They go unconsious and then die. I think that would be the least traumatic way to die.
75g: In planning, community.
bazil323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 06:11 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Regular

Frozen, boiled slammed, thermal shocked, they all sound bad.

I would think being slowly eaten while still alive is a rather painful way to go too.
20 Gallon 4 Sculpin, 1 tiny Bluegill
Member of NANFA
Sombunya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 10:09 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yeah, that bothers me too. The slowly eaten alive part. I saw the crab eat a dead fish and it took about three minutes, it chewed on the tail then made it all the way up to the head. It slowly grinded its food. If it were doing that to a live fish, then it would be pretty bad. Probably worse than freezing, I think.

So I suppose I'm back to square one.

As for getting fish from the supermarket, well, that's kind of pricy. I don't have the money to buy my crab prime seafood.
Old 09-29-2008, 01:40 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Regular

Try Blood worms.

I was worried because I hadn't seen the little Catfish I found eat. I would see a Blood worm float right past it and the Cat would not eat it. Then one day I saw it eat a worm.

The Catfish has been in one of my tanks for over a week now. I rarely see it eat but it is healthy as can be. I'm not worried.

If your Crab gets hungry enough, it will eat anything.
20 Gallon 4 Sculpin, 1 tiny Bluegill
Member of NANFA
Sombunya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 12:19 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Regular

Have you guys ever seen animals feed in nature? Ever watched march of the penguins? Life is brutal. It's really kill or be killed. Evolution requires it. Is it sad that living things suffer? Of course it is, but the fact that your researching humane ways to kill makes you about 10x more benevolent than any creature in the wild (your little crab included). Ever watched a livebearer eat it's own fry? They're pretty cute until they try to gobble down their own offspring. I think that any of these methods is an easier break than nature would have given them. I wouldn't worry about it too much. You're projecting human morality on animals. Just my .02 cents.
Old 09-29-2008, 12:34 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to RJRofFL
Hi sarah5775.

Forgive me for jumping in here, but I would like to offer just a few suggestions and ideas. If they are perceived as wrong or invalid, then I'll go stand in the corner for "time out."
Please understand that I mean no disrespect to the advice you have been given, nor to the path you choose to go, but I feel that the course of your euthanasing and feeding should be considered only as a "last resort."
In my years of fishkeeping I have found it prudent to attempt to find the cause or root of a problem rather than jump to a hasty conclusion for a "quick fix." There are some conditions or unknowns here that could come into play.
Granted that there is truly not a lot of information readily available concerning the Tai/moon/soapdish crab. Not meaning to insult your intelligence but just for clarification can we assume that you do have a "vivarium" type setup, water is brackish, a beach type area to allow it to get out of the water, sand and not gravel, filtration, 10Gal minimum, temp 75-78 degrees and regular water changes? Again, no offense meant.
You can probably tell I am not a fan of live feeding unless it is absolutely necessary for the species (i.e. lizards-crickets). Since there are so many many commercial foods available and tons of alternatives, I would suggest that route, at least initially. Research and google can take you there.
I do agree that bloodworms, freeze dried shrimp stuck on side of glass, the use of garlic to entice, etc. are excellent suggestions, perhaps to include store bought fit for human consumption type fish.
I think we are all aware that most foods today, at one time or another were alive. I will admit that I love a good steak, but I do not want to be the one to slaughter the cow. Not being hypocritical, just honest.
I hope I have not offended. Just trying to help and is JMO.

Thanks,

Bob
Old 09-29-2008, 01:34 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Surely there is some cheap fish at the grocery store. Why not just grab a half-pound trout from the meat department and cut off suitable portions as needed?

It may sound expensive, but when you buy feeder fish you're getting such a small quantity that I would be very surprised if it ended up being any cheaper. A single human portion should last a crab for weeks if you cut it up and offer it in feeder-fish sized portions.
Old 09-29-2008, 04:21 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Freak

From now on, I'm going to get fish from the supermarket. I'm going to see if I can get 'scraps' from the grocery store, or I'll just buy some chep fish. I dont' want this dilemma again.

As of now, however, I have two dozen feeder fish in a ten gallon tank. Obviously I can't keep them even if I wanted to. I don't know what to do with them.

Obviously, 22 inches of fish in a ten gallon uncycled tank isn't good. The goldfish I may be able to give to my friend who has a pond. But most of them are those ugly minnows and no one would want them.

Does it sound feasible to just go out to a pond somewhere and let them loose? Or would that do irreprable harm to the ecosystem?

PS The crab can't catch the live fish after all, they've been in there for few days and nothing,. but he eagerly gobbles down dead fish. (I had a few die naturally in the tank)

Tags
coldwater

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com