Euthanizing Coldwater Fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
you never want to release anything into the wild like that. There's probably a 99% chance they'd die, or never get out of the pond, but there's always that chance they'll live, escape, and mess things up bad.

Your lfs should have frozen silversides available, as a better alternative; otherwise, grocery store for frozen fish as mentioned or simply cut the heads off the live feeders and be done with it :)

I killed the minnows. It was awful. I don't want to talk about it. The dead fish are now in the freezer.

As for the goldfish, I couldn't bring myself to kill them. There are about 10 of them in my ten gallon tank. I will have to decide what to do with them. To keep them, give them away, kill them, etc. They are relatively small so I think I can keep them for a little while while I'm deciding.

Does everyone agree that letting goldfish go in a pond is a bad idea?

I killed the minnows. It was awful. I don't want to talk about it. The dead fish are now in the freezer.

As for the goldfish, I couldn't bring myself to kill them. There are about 10 of them in my ten gallon tank. I will have to decide what to do with them. To keep them, give them away, kill them, etc. They are relatively small so I think I can keep them for a little while while I'm deciding.

Does everyone agree that letting goldfish go in a pond is a bad idea?

I used to work at a place that had a rather large artificial koi pond with a walking track around it. It was maybe 30-40 yards across and like 10-20 wide. It was teeming with koi, and did not connect to a natural body of water. If you could find a place like that it might not be a bad idea...

Don't just randomly release the fish in a pond. That is how many invasive species get introduced and result in the death of the native fish and/or plants. Now you did mention that your friend has a pond (ie man-made/decorative?). If your friend is willing to adopt the fish, then giving the fish to your friend would quite alright.

You obviously didn't consider my post.

Take them back to the LFS. Give them back to them and don't ask for a refund.

Good luck.

Bob

RJ-

I can see how it seems I didn't consider your post, but I did. I have definitely decided against live food in the future unless I absolutely run out of options, and will follow yours and other people's suggestions, including the garlic. The problem was what to do with the fish I already have.

I know from experience that the lfs store where I got them won't take them back. It's a chain store and I tried to return a fish there once before. I can call around for a smaller pet store to take them, but I don't think feeder goldfish are in much demand. However, if I can't get my friend with a pond to take them, I suppose that is what I will do next. This is also made difficult because of the fact I don't have a car right now. I can get a friend/family member to take me to the pet store that is right down the road, or even catch a bus- but I don't have the resources to travel too far to other pet stores that might be a long distance away.

I will next try my friend with the pond. She lives about 2 hours away and we only see eachother a few times a year. So that is problematic too. Perhaps on her next visit I can give her the fish, but I don't know when that visit will be.

For the time being, I will keep the fish in the tank while looking for another home for them, that seems to be the only answer as of now. I don't know how long 10 small comets can live in a 10 gallon tank, but as of now, that is simply the best I can do.

If it makes you feel any better, you are a nicer person than I. They would have been crab food by now if I was in that position.

For the time being, I will keep the fish in the tank while looking for another home for them, that seems to be the only answer as of now. I don't know how long 10 small comets can live in a 10 gallon tank, but as of now, that is simply the best I can do.

I wouldn't worry too much about it. Mistakes are made, but that's ok. I agree with your current action. Keep the fish and give them away when the opportunity arises. You're doing the best you can given your situation. And if any of them die, you could still feed them to your crab.

In reference to the original post, I doubt the crab cares much if what you feed it is fish. Beef liver is comparable in price to low-grade hamburger, and in my experience is the best bait for catching wild crabs and crayfish, so it stands to reason that it would be desirable as a food source. It's very dense in nutrients and in all other ways an ideal food. Do rinse it first, though, as it tends to be slightly oily and will pollute the water surface if added to the tank as-is.

Back
Top Bottom