Ever changing substrate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nirbhao

Aquarium Advice Addict
When we set up our 29 gallon tank, we had moved everything from a 10 gallon. The substrate from the 10 gallon was a mixture of pea gravel and rainbow gravel because of the young assistant. We also included lava rock and fancy black sand for the plants.

The lava rock didn't last long. It collected waste far too easily and seemed impossible to clean. Each water change, I would remove the pieces that had worked to the top. Pretty much every time I did this, I had to replant most of the plants.

It was about two weeks ago that I really dug in and got all of the lava rock out. I told myself this was it! I don't need to make anymore changes! No more replanting! No more freaking these poor fish out!

But when I sit here looking at the tank, the rainbow gravel really bugs me.

I've been researching, and it seems like the best way to exchange substrate is all at once. The repeated disturbances getting all the lava rock out supports the all-at- once model.

So here's my question:
Should I make peace with the neon? If I don't and do change it out, am I going to hate whatever else I put in there?

I don't mind how the sand looks interspersed, but otherwise you can see what I'm talking about in this picture.

the tiny computer is full of delicion!

Attachments

• 1475804391981.jpg
    1475804391981.jpg
    161.6 KB · Views: 73
If you and the family enjoy how the tank looks you can leave the rainbow gravel.

Once roots start growing in it a substrate change becomes more difficult. It's really up to you. Could also do a compromise and cap a plant substrate(Flourite or Eco complete) with the gravel.

http://www.amusingplanet.com/2016/06/the-colored-pebbles-of-lake-mcdonald.html?m=1

Could be inspiration for using multicolored gravel in a tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thank you so much for sharing that. Very beautiful pictures.

I added some CaribSea Super Naturals. I'll let it settle in on its own, but I think it will mellow out the bright colors. It's very pretty right now!

I went from soft pebble gravel to eco complete and I gotta say it looks more complete (pun intended). Best thing about eco complete is you never have to clean it. It lasts for life and turns all the poo and uneaten food into nutrients for your plants.

I do siphon some spots once a month though just because I'm over protective

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

That's really neat.

I finally asked myself why, even though I wanted sand in the first place, we used gravel. It's because the sand is expensive. What a terrible place to skimp.

Pool sand is cheap and fish friendly as long as it had no additives. I know I can get 20lb bags here, cheaper than 5lb of regular petco gravel

Walmart has 50lb bags of pool filter sand for 5.98

After putting in that sand, we got planaria. Goodbye, gravel! I had about 2 gallons of gravel.

My nitrates are zero as of this morning. I'm hoping that's because of the big water change.

Be careful with sand. There will be airpockets and they can release toxins into your water and kill all your fish before you know it.

Make sure you move the decor around to release the pockets.

Back
Top Bottom