Ever had a fish die from stress in a QT?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PNWaquarist

Aquarium Advice Addict
I wanted a few more Cardinal Tetras for my display tank (and I literally only have room for a few more), so I purchased three at the LFS about four weeks ago and stuck them in my freshly-cycled 10 gallon quarantine tank. I knew that they'd be at least somewhat stressed due to insufficient shoaling numbers, so I provided them with four fake plants, a medium-sized piece of driftwood, a small cave, a dozen or so pieces of river rock, and I placed a black piece of poster board under the bottom of the tank. I also make sure that my cats don't bother them, either by shutting them out of the room or placing a towel over the tank. I've been feeding them NLS 0.5 mm sinking pellets and NLS Optimum flakes, doing weekly 50% WCs, and keeping the tank at 80 F. Tank pH is ~7.4.

Anyway, they've been even more stressed than I anticipated. When I approach the tank, they attempt to hide under the cave and often play dead. Anyway, I had only noticed two of them swimming around in the tank over the past week. Uh-oh. So before doing my weekly WC this evening, I moved around some of the decor and found what looked like a badly-decomposed fish (mostly skeleton at the point). More debris than usual in the tank as well. Yuck. After doing the WC, I added a double-dose of prime and, an hour later, tested the tank water. No ammonia, no nitrites, and maybe 2-3 ppm nitrates.

I turned out the room lights and turned on the aquarium lights, which coaxed the two remaining fish to come out. They're both small and thin, as they were when I purchased them, but showed no signs of disease. So I'm pretty sure that the other one died of stress. I hope that the two survivors can make it through the next two weeks.

Some fish might can be stressed from the store and the move just puts them over the edge and there's nothing you can really do. My first rainbow shark did the same thing, except he seemed perfectly healthy.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

They can also come with internal parasites, bacteria, ich, or a host of other issues that are not readily visible. Sometimes new fish die and it's not necessarily from anything you did or didn't do. Was it just stress? Who knows. It happens. I doubt that it was only the stress if this one relocation though. Could have been a culmination if stressful events, or it could have been a totally unrelated issue. I've had a handful of new arrivals die in Qt. Not too long ago I got 7 black neons and 5 died within days. The 2 remaining ones eventually showed some ich. That was the single worst purchase I've ever made.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom