ever have a cory rocket out of your tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tostada

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've got a hex tank that is just over 25" tall, and my tiny little 1" panda corys are always rooting around on the bottom, then they'll get to a wall and randomly shoot straight up to the top of the tank along the wall. I'm surprised they don't hurt themselves on the lid. One just got enough air that I heard a splash when he came back down.

I'm a little worried that one will eventually manage to shoot out of the back of the tank in some small gap around the filter. I do have a bubble wand along the bottom of the back wall that hinders their upward ascent, though.

Can't say I've had mine jump out of the water, but they certainly do come up for atmospheric air occasionally. Most, if not all catfish do this.

Most all cories will make the occational dash to the surface to get a gulp of air. I keep Pygmy Cories and have never had one leave the tank when performing this manuver.

Better to be safe than sorry: if you can cover any potential gaps on the lid then you'll save finding one escapee :)

Corys do do this, dont worry :)

My pleco does that all the time. Every once in a while, he zips up and gets a quick breath of air and then goes back down. It's a strange habit, but I figured it was normal enough. He's always done it.

The iridescent I had once upon a time did the same thing frequently, so I guess it really is a catfish thing.

It's weird to compare what fish everyone says they have that do it.

My albinos and emeralds definatly do this, but my clown pleco does not... weird thing is all of my Brothers plecos do. (2 commons and 2 royals)

I was acclimating my julii cory to my 55 gallon with a smaller container that I set inside the tank and make small additions of water too, over time. I got up to add water and the cory was gone. He had jumped out! Thankfully he had landed in the big tank and not on the floor! A day later and he's no worse for the wear, but it took me by suprise.

yeah, my cories do this more, but my plecos also do this a little. i read somewhere that they go up for air to help stabilize themselves? but im not sure. something with the swim bladder

I have had them jump inti breeder nets all the time. Have also had one in my HOB. My BN females like to jump into the outflow of my AC and eat the algae in there.

Haven't had a case of cory suicide by jumping out of the tank yet. I always keep my lid closed though because sometimes my juliis fly up the side and get a little splash on the way back down.

I've lost 2 Panda's that way myself. One made it out the back before I had a backing on my light hood. The other managed to hit just the right angle to get himself out through the cover.

Since then, I have full covers on my tanks with gaps smaller than the fish around hoses etc.

The only time I get jumpers now is when I use 5 gallon buckets for temporary nurseries for the swordtails. They hate getting put in the bucket at first and will literally jump out right back in your face. But after a day or two the females get comfy with the solitude and drop their fry. I'm hoping to find some black or white buckets at the store this weekend, I think half what freaks them out so much is that the ones I have now are red.

Ferret_Friend said:
My pleco does that all the time. Every once in a while, he zips up and gets a quick breath of air and then goes back down. It's a strange habit, but I figured it was normal enough. He's always done it.

The iridescent I had once upon a time did the same thing frequently, so I guess it really is a catfish thing.

none of my catfish have ever done that, and i have plecos, upside downs, and glass cats, maybe you need an airator?

Back
Top Bottom