Everything is dying

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

akkitten

Aquarium Advice Activist
I recently purchased a 5.5 gal upgrade for my betta who was in a 1.5 gal. I used water, substrate and the filter from the old tank and let it sit for a day, amm .25 and no nitrite an 10 nitrate do I moved my little fish. He died 2 days later. Now over a week later, all water conditions fine every single fish I put in there dies. Any suggestions, I am completely at a loss!

Soak bag 15 min, add tank water 15 min, add more tank water 10 min then add fish

Oh I also added prime and small dose of Milafix and prinafix

did your old tank have any sort of bacteria or parasites? it may be possible a weakened immune system and internal parasites killed the fish due to stress of moving to a new tank. the .25 Ammonia won't be bad unless your water PH is incredibly high.

Ph is about 7.4. I don't know that betta had been in that 1.5 alone for almost a year just fine. I have a few plants in there and am wondering if I should start a full ammonia cycle. In just over a week I have lost 3 betta, 3 dashboard and 5 tetra. If it is a bug how do I know which one?

Trace ammonia while unhealthy should not kill a fish and was doing daily pwc to address it. First I added 1 betta, dead. Then 1 betta and 3 rasbora, rasbora didn't live the night. Next 1 betta and 5 neon, neon made it 24 hrs, betta 2 days, dead.

The 5.5 won't be cycled unless you actually took the time to cycle it, or moved over all the filter media from your old filter, which would be able to support that betta. Did you move the media over, or cycle the tank? Or did you just fill it up and put your fish in?

I moved all the media, the filter and all the water. It was his own tank with 4 more gallons of water

akkitten said:
Trace ammonia while unhealthy should not kill a fish and was doing daily pwc to address it. First I added 1 betta, dead. Then 1 betta and 3 rasbora, rasbora didn't live the night. Next 1 betta and 5 neon, neon made it 24 hrs, betta 2 days, dead.

Part of the problem might have been the betta killing the rasboras and neons, they really don't like tank mates generally.. But bettas are generally pretty hardy, .25 ammonia wouldn't have killed them in 2 days.

First betta was alone. Next one was from lfs in a community tank. Last one never even flared at the tetra.

akkitten said:
I moved all the media, the filter and all the water. It was his own tank with 4 more gallons of water

Okay, so you did move the media, so theoretically the tank was instantly cycled. The water wouldn't have done much of anything, as a miniscule amount of beneficial bacteria live in it. Hmmmm.. You have been using dechlorinater right? (Just making sure)

I used prime, but I am not on city water, and my baseline test of well water is clean.

akkitten said:
I used prime, but I am not on city water, and my baseline test of well water is clean.

Okay, prime is perfect:) hmmmm.. You didn't use windex or anything like that to clean any part of the tank right? (inside or out)

Yup. Wondering if sealant is making the tank toxic. I am running out of ideas....and fish.

Like the seams on the the tank?? I would doubt that, I mean, it is made in mind of putting fish in it. Haha I'm running out of ideas too

I know, it's really frustrating. 11 dead fish in a week breaks my heart.

Back
Top Bottom