Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-21-2018, 10:40 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Many add dechlor right to tank without issue.
5g of any temp water will not change a 30g tank that much.It is a 1/6 change out..You would need to add 'ice water/boiling water' IMO to cause death on such a small water change..
Prime dechlorinator can safely be overdosed 5 times the recommended amount along with many other brands.
Have you tested nitrates yet ?[test your source water also...]

^^These are my weekly sales^^ GOT RAMS ???
coralbandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 07:50 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by coralbandit View Post
Many add dechlor right to tank without issue.
5g of any temp water will not change a 30g tank that much.It is a 1/6 change out..You would need to add 'ice water/boiling water' IMO to cause death on such a small water change..
Prime dechlorinator can safely be overdosed 5 times the recommended amount along with many other brands.
Have you tested nitrates yet ?[test your source water also...]
Temp: consistent 77.4 throughout tank

It would seem that nitrates could be the problem but it is strange that i had 25% loss right after changing water. And I do make water changes. Hard to imagine nutrates could be increasing to dangerous levels with only 11 fish in 30 gal with frequent water changes and constant TDS. Could be just an untimely coincidence. I will do a nitrate test tonight, just to be sure.

Thanks to all for suggestions. I will post nitrate test results later

Old 05-22-2018, 10:38 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

The weather is warming up. It's not uncommon for water companies to start jacking up Chlorimine levels in the tap. That might be your fish killer. Never heard of a fish OD relating to dechlorinator. Your Goldfish are much more durable to adverse water conditions and are less likely to go belly up as compared to tropical fish.
Double check your dechlorinator, making sure it also detoxifies Chlorimine as well.
Old 05-22-2018, 12:06 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by V227 View Post
The weather is warming up. It's not uncommon for water companies to start jacking up Chlorimine levels in the tap. That might be your fish killer. Never heard of a fish OD relating to dechlorinator. Your Goldfish are much more durable to adverse water conditions and are less likely to go belly up as compared to tropical fish.
Double check your dechlorinator, making sure it also detoxifies Chlorimine as well.
M dechlorinator says
* removes chlorine and chlorimines
* detoxifies heavy metals
* super sttength
Old 05-22-2018, 03:55 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

You know when you deal with tropical fish "It's always something". Most of my stock make it to old age but every once in a while a sudden death occurs. Last month one of my favorite Tiger Stripe Silver Dollar fish jumped and bashed his head on the glass lid. Instantaneous death. A week or two later my baby 2" GT murdered a Buenos Aires and Diamond Tetra all in one day.
I'm sure there is a simple explanation to your aquatic crime scene. There are just too many possibilities and not enough clues.
My 120 gal. Tank maintenence routine: 50% WC each week w/ gravel vac - filter cleaning once every 3 weeks (squeeze out sponges in old tank water) - keep temp 78-82 degrees -
I haven't tested my water parameters in years, and don't even own a test kit.
That's the best advice I can give you. Keep after it, things will level out.

Tags
die, fish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com