Evil filter killed 4 molly fry :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stew

Aquarium Advice Regular
I lost 4 of my 6 new molly fry to my evil filter :( They had gown to about a centimeter and I figured they were safe out in the tank (they had been in the breeder trap but I felt bad for them). After loosing the 1st 2 on the 1st day I put some thread around the intake but 2 more managed to get passed it and perished in the foam pre-filter :(

I've removed the remaining (and largest 2) fry and put them back in the little 6"x4" breeder trap for now because I want them to live!

How big should I let them get before setting they little guys free? Is there some kind of foam shield available for the filter intake to prevent such things, and if so do they hinder filter performance? (Its an aquaclear 200 that hangs on the back).

I'm pretty upset they all died, one was a baloon molly fry, one looked like its front half was part dalmation and the otehr 2 were gold on the front and black on the back half, they would have been beautiful fish :(

Fortunatly momma molly is preggers again, I don't want the next batch to go the same way!

Try rubber-banding a section of new, UNWASHED panty hose over the end of the filter intake. This'll allow the filter to operate as normal- without the risk of the fry getting sucked into it. :D

Can I do somthing like this long-term, or will I defeat the purpose of having a filter?

I intend to have a lot more molly fry in this tank.

Capt. Gorilla, what kind of sponge do you mean? Do you mean a think type of sponge that you can wrap around the bottom of the filter intake? Or a sponge that goes inside the filter intake itself?

I have pantyhose on my intake that I have had on there for about 3 months now. There doesn't seem to hinder the operation and funtions of the filter. One thing that I did notice is that my filter doesn't clog near as often, less food makes it into the filter.

The sponge will slow the intake down some, and once they are bigger you can take it off. Some people do have sponges long term If the have sand for example they don't want it getting into the impeller. it only needs to be 1/4 inch thick or so. Panty hose will restrict it less but may still suck a fry up to it. but it will help.

If you completely cover the entire opening of the intake tube with panty hose- nothing will get through it (fry included). There are no problems with leaving this long-term, either. I've had a tank set up this way for years and have had no trouble- although you may have to clean off larger pieces of detritus from the hose occasionally. The few seconds this'll take will be worthwhile when you see all those fry growing in your tank! :D

Stew...tha mi duilich :cry:

I like the pantyhose over the intake area suggestion. I'll have to remember that if I start a tank other than bettas! Let us know how your next batch of fry is doing!

It does sound pretty silly, doesn't it? :wink:

The best part was when I first needed a pair to try it out. I was too embarrassed to buy them myself, so I asked my girlfriend (my fiancee now) to pick a pair up for me. She just gave me a strange look and asked me what size I wore.

I made a point to show her I was USING the hose- not WEARING them. :D

It does work, though; and a pair will probably last you a lifetime- so you only go through the humiliation once!

In my fry and grow out tanks, I run a penguin 170 with a 3" diameter sponge filter over the intake. It does clog after a month or so, but it also provides lots of bio filter area.

Even with the nylon method, small fry will not be able to escape the suction and will die trapped to the nylon. I never release my babies into the community tank until the are about 1 inch long. Especially a tank with mollies. A good sized molly can easily eat even a 3/4" fry. By the time they get to 1" they seem to be wary and fast enough to avoid the suction of the filter and the mouths of their tank mates.

Well ive been experimenting, the best ve found around the house is bandage gauze. The 2 remaining fry are getting real big (little over 3/4") and have taken to eating algae off the gauze! I have to replace it every few days because it gets prety nasty looking. Pany hose sounds like a good idea, but i'm a single guy and too embarrased to buy it :)

My LFS didnt have any sponges that go over the filter inlet. Is this somthing you guys have made out of sponge or somthing that I can buy? I like the idea of somthing I can rinse out once in a while.

No new fry yet, but momma mollylooks like shes going to pop any time now.

Hi Stew,
Try this: http://www.petsmart.com/products/product_32955.shtml

This is a filter intake strainer for this certain brand of filter. You could go to the store where you bought your filter and see if they have a strainer to fit it. This strainer's description says it prevents small fish and debris from getting into the filter. It doesn't say anything about fry, but maybe this will give you some more ideas.

Here is another picture I found: http://www.petsolutions.com/cgi-bin/cgiitmls?m=ThisP&p=1084.120000&l=1

Hopefully this will help!

I have an aquaclear 200, it doesnt look as though thise strainers will adapt, but thanks for the link! :)

I'll have to see what else I can find, currantly in mollyland my new silver molies seem be be enjoyiong the taste of sterile cotton bandages.. goofy fish!

I use a mesh material I found at a material store. No matter how many plants and hiding places I put in my tank- I would still find a fry or two swimming (or dead) in my filter. I usually throw out the mesh when it gets too dirty.

Stacie

I'm kind of suprised a slip on pre-filter isnt available on the market... maybe i'm on to somthing :)

On a lighter note to ths thread, my momma molly gave me 8 more healthy and very gold colored fry this morning, with more to come by the looks of it! It my be time for a breeder tank for all the fry i'm going to have in the future!

The 2 from the original batch are growing like mad, one turned out to be a baloon with a black body and a silver colored head and the other a copper tipped head and black body, but no baloon belly. Genetics is facinating!

Congrats on the new fry, Stew!!

That's awesome about the new additions and I'm glad to see that everything is going fine in "Molly Land". :lol:

Stew I have a question on your molly fry...

My black molly popped out 8 fry and they were all gold with black specks on their tails and fins. This was such a surprise to me because her last batch (which unfortunately all became the other fishs' snacks) was solid black fry.

How old were the fry when you started noticing their color changes?

The male molly in my tank is black also, but I do have red and orange platies, and from what I've read here, these two fish can interbreed! So I am wondering if her first fry were from the black male molly, and if this recent batch was with one of the platies. If so then my little molly mama is getting around, holy cow ;-)

Back
Top Bottom