Ewwwwww......what is this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Leila

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
IMG_1521155343.178295.jpg
We have this blackish growth on everything in the tank - live plants included. Fish are healthy and happy but this stuff is EVERYWHERE. Would like to know what it is and how to curtail growth. Advice appreciated!

BBA. Changing more water, feeding less and or reducing the length of time the lights are on should help. I'd remove as much as you can manually as well.

BBA. Changing more water, feeding less and or reducing the length of time the lights are on should help. I'd remove as much as you can manually as well.

Thanks! I’ve scrubbed everything that I can - I think this stuff is stuck on with crazy glue. We do a pwc weekly. Lights out maybe?

Kill it with hydrogen peroxide.
You can target the patch with a syringe or turkey baster.
1ml per gallon per day.
Keep the filters running.....

You can also treat it with excel depending on the plants you have. But the peroxide treatment has the bonus it turns bright red and looks cool as hell!

If you have *veggie loving* fish you may find they that think the dying red algae is yummy

Try dosing CO2 regularity, make sure that the plants are fertilized. The plants should out eat the bba and it should go away. But will take a while

Ugh I thought I would never get rid of that stuff when I had it. And I did so many things to fight it who knows what actually did the trick. I kept it mostly controlled by a combination of manual removal of the worst of it, more consistent fertilizing of plants, excel and h202 spot treatment. It was still cropping up at that point but it was pretty minimal.

Then my local fish shop got in Siamese algae eaters and Amanos. I added both and it wasn’t instantaneous but it did finally go away and I haven’t seen a single tuft in months. I think perhaps they didn’t like eating the old mature bba but I’d see both the SAE and the shrimp eating the smaller young tuffs and anything that I had spot treated.

Eventually it just didn’t come back.

Back
Top Bottom