Expanded Stocking Suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ziggs180

Aquarium Advice Freak
In the past month I added 2 Blue Rams and 5 Rasboras, and astonishingly None of them are dead or sick. I'm looking to increase my stock. I know i definitely have space for more fish, because after one month of not changing the water, I still had almost no Nitrates due to the large amount of plants I have.

I've been considering a Honey Gourami, a Bristlenose Pleco, and maybe a Smaller species of Angelfish. However, i'm not sure if they will go well with my current stock, and I definitly don't want something that will eat my Amano Shrimp. I've also been thinking of getting 2 Female guppies to give my male guppy some mates, and to produce Fry that will be a food source for my Blue Rams. Any suggestions would be great!

Ziggs180 said:
In the past month I added 2 Blue Rams and 5 Rasboras, and astonishingly None of them are dead or sick. I'm looking to increase my stock. I know i definitely have space for more fish, because after one month of not changing the water, I still had almost no Nitrates due to the large amount of plants I have.

I've been considering a Honey Gourami, a Bristlenose Pleco, and maybe a Smaller species of Angelfish. However, i'm not sure if they will go well with my current stock, and I definitly don't want something that will eat my Amano Shrimp. I've also been thinking of getting 2 Female guppies to give my male guppy some mates, and to produce Fry that will be a food source for my Blue Rams. Any suggestions would be great!

Nice! Tank size please!

An angel and gourami may or may not work. I'm not sure how small the angel you plan on adding will be, but in general if stocking an angel in a 29 I would give it the top of the tank. Sharing that space with a few guppies, 10 harlequin rasboras, and a potentially territorial gourami, definitely sounds overkill. I would pick less fish that will be swimming in the top tank region. The BN sounds like a fine addition. Unfortunately I would expect your rams will eventually eat those amanos.

Even though you readings are good you should still change the water. Need to replace trace elements and macro/micro goodies. Depending on the tank I wouldn't get and angel, unless it's like a 55. You should get some bottom dwellers, corys, loaches something like that. The shrimp also could get eaten by the angel when it's bigger.

Nice! Tank size please!

29 gallon, its in my Signature.

An angel and gourami may or may not work. I'm not sure how small the angel you plan on adding will be, but in general if stocking an angel in a 29 I would give it the top of the tank. Sharing that space with a few guppies, 10 harlequin rasboras, and a potentially territorial gourami, definitely sounds overkill. I would pick less fish that will be swimming in the top tank region. The BN sounds like a fine addition. Unfortunately I would expect your rams will eventually eat those amanos.

You make a good point about the angelfish, Since my LFS Don't even say the species of Angelfish, and I'm not about to trust their estimated adult size one of the sales guys told me (which seemed pretty small). As for my Shrimp, my Amanos are bigger than my rams, I dont have fear of them being eaten, and many people keep them together and never have any problems.

Once the rams are bigger they will most likely kill them. It's just the nature of cichlids. They will typically eat/kill shrimp. It's possible it won't happen, just warning ya. ;) I would go with the gourami. I think it would be a better fit for your tank, and not so large that it can't share it's space with rasboras and guppies. :)

^ they won't kill them all, maybe a few.....but since its planted, the colony will still grow.........

rams can't eat amanos btw.........the only ram prob. brave enough or big enough wouldn be a bolivian.......blues are too small, even my giant angels can't eat amanos nor kill them........female amanos get to 3"......

Well I disagree with all of that. By the way, amanos can't reproduce in freshwater, so no, the colony will not grow.

Even with a Bristlenose and a Dwarf Gourami, I still feel like I have some extra bioload to work with. Any more suggestions would be nice. I looked around 2 LFS Stores today, and none seem to carry Bristlenose. Going to try 2 more tommorow.

Ziggs180 said:
Even with a Bristlenose and a Dwarf Gourami, I still feel like I have some extra bioload to work with. Any more suggestions would be nice. I looked around 2 LFS Stores today, and none seem to carry Bristlenose. Going to try 2 more tommorow.

Honestly, i like to leave room open anyways. It isnt a rule that you have to 100% stock a tank..plus, i like to leave room open for a fish that might catch my eye if i see it

You could do a school of something that swims mid-bottom but is still pretty laid back, like neon or glowlight tetras.

Back
Top Bottom