Experience with API Copper Test Kit???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jrmjrm

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just got an API Copper Test because I'm treating for what I believe to be velvet with Coppersafe and I want to monitor my copper levels while doing so. The test says it measures both chelated and free copper, so it should be working but I know that the water has more copper in it than the test appears to be reading. I dosed initially last week and last night I did a PWC and redosed for the gallons of water I changed. So, in theory the levels should be right.

The colors are so close and light that it's really hard to tell, but I'm thinking it is reading at .25 ppm. The coppersafe website says that when dosed correctly the total copper reading will read between 1.5 and 2.0 ppm. Anyone have any experience with this? I don't want to add more Coppersafe and kill my fish just because I'm reading the test wrong or something stupid. Am I correct in thinking that chelated copper will not be neutralized by my water conditoner because it's already bound to another compound (which is what I think makes it chelated)? HELP!!!

Back
Top Bottom