Experience with Harlequin and Dwarf Gourami -recommendations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SwerveDriver

Aquarium Advice Regular
I currently have a 15g tank that has been cycled and ready to add fish. I've done the ammonia and nitrate test, my pH is 7.5, and GH 8. I have a couple of silk plants that reach the surface to provide cover, drift wood and a pagoda cave.

I am considering purchasing 4-6 Harequin Rasboras and 2 Neon Dwarf Gouramis. I've read that these should be compatible fish and they are both peaceful fish. I would like to know what your experiences are with these fish both together in a tank and separately with regards to compatibility, maintenance, water quality concerns, population limit, overcrowding, feeding etc.

The rasboras appear to be very active fish in schools and the gourami's relatively less active (shy). Would the population combination I'm considering be compatible for these fish?

Any help will be appreciated.

Hi SwerveDriver. Toronto is one of my FAVORITE places. :D

I've got a school of harlequin rasbora in my planted 55 and they are terrific fish. Very hardy, colorful, and fun to watch. The dwarf gourami could become aggressive. It doesn't mean they will, but the possibility exists. Especially in a 15 gallon. I would just get 1 DG as this will reduce the tendancy for aggression.

Hey BrianNY, New York is a cool city as well.

I just happened to search out gourami's in this forum and the consensus seems to be not to put two together, especiallly in a small tank like mine. I think I'll go with the rasboras first and figure out what to add later (if I plan on it).

Would a single Betta be good as well with just the raboras?

Bettas should be fine :) Even if he chooses to be aggressive towards the Rasboras.. they will dart nimbly out of his way... and he will miss :p

I love it when my Betta gets agressive spurts and charges through my Clouds, it is too funny!

I have a school of 6 Harlequin Rasboras in my 55 gal as well, and they are very active fish and very colorful. I see no problem either with the betta, and that will set you up with a very nice looking tank there.

Have Fun.

Well, I'm going to have to post a slight disagreement on this subject. In my experience and that of my favorite fish buddies at my favorite lfs, Harlequin Rasboras are beautiful, but they are not a "hardy" type of fish. My Harlequin's were the first to succumb to the terrorization of a Boesmani Rainbow. It took the loss my whole school before I figured out what was going on.

So, a school of Harlequin's yes. Dwarf Gourami's yes, but I would probably go with the more docile Blue Dwarf Gourami.

Of course, this is just my opinion from my own experience. Others may have had other experiences. Hope my 2 cents helps.

Rose

Harlequin Rasboras are beautiful, but they are not a "hardy" type of fish.

Mine have made it through freezing cold water in the winter with no electicity, to my malfunctioned heater that took the temps in the 90s, to a slew of diseases. They are very hardy in my experiences. Sorry to hear that you had a bad time with them cherry barb.

Mine get along with my rainbows fine...

hardy or not (which they are,) they aren't going to survive the attacks of a larger fish like a rainbow. i typically associate "hardiness" to a species' ability to handle stress, not their ability to come back to life after being fatally attacked/maimed....

Thanks everyone for your advice...

Would it be a good idea to introduce the Harlequins and the Betta (or Gourami) into the tank at the same time or should I first introduce one species then after some time the other. If so, which order?

SwerveDriver, I have 5 Harlequin Rasboras with two dwarf gouramies (male and female), and they get along fine with each other. I would put in swordplant or a similar broadleafed plant in the tank in case the Harlequin Rasboras feel the urge :lol: . Same with floating plants for the gouramies. I would suggest only one unless you can find a female, which is hard to. You may also consider a couple ottos after the tank is well cycled.

I work at Petsmart and we always have Harlequin rasboras in stock and we very rarely lose any, now guppies on the other hand die if you look at them funny.

Back
Top Bottom