experience with Ocean View aquariums

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dax29

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Anyone with any experience with Ocean View aquariums? I just purchased a 100 gallon Ocean View. My budget could not accommodate the 180 gallon (neither could my house).

woo hoo...new aquarium...
i'm sorry dax, all my aquariumas are all-glass. but good luck on the new one. what are the dimensions, in case they are non-standard. (i miss greenmaji at this point).

The dimensions are 60X20X20. The lfs owner said that Ocean View aquariums are hand made in Mississippi somewhere. They use thick glass braces in the middle instead of plastic. Where is greenmaji?

I'm going with haps and peacocks. They don't seem as aggressive and they cruise more than they hide.

I talked to Eddie yesterday. I'm gonna get a full 15 peacock mix and a full 15 hap mix. He said I could tell him what I liked and he'd make sure I got the species I wanted in each mix. I'm gonna cull out the females and have a stag tank. The great thing about your mbunas is that you get to keep em all b/c both sexes are colorful. He is a great guy to talk to on the phone. I'm not nearly ready at all to set my tank up. I've got to finish the wood on the stand, break down one of my 29s, sell some fish from both 29s, make my styrofoam background, and some more stuff. Do you look at cichlid-forum? I joined that one over a month ago and those guys have some good info. You may have told me about that site. You mentioned you miss greenmaji. Where is the maji?

yeah, i really miss GM too. i'm sure he's either owned a oceanview before or knows someone who has owned it.
i'm currently a lurker at cichlid-forums, don't have enough expertise to post anything (barring minor comments). i go by 'triazo' there. as you said, there is a huge collection of great articles and experienced people on the forum.
i finished assembling my 75g last weekend. the labs are currently enjoying it by themselves (along with the clowns), but their days are numbered as the sole occupants. as you said, i chose the mbuna simply because of their ability to put on colorful dresses for me regardless of sex. and also i'll be keeping monomorphic ones at that too. i thought about mixing some protomelas taeniolatus for their red, but dropped them eventually.
a stag tank is a great idea, done by many hobbyists. but instead of culling the females, you can possibly sell them on aquabid. good luck with making the background. its not really that hard.

Greef guys.. my tank is a old Oceanic, its a fancy pants tank..LOL
Its 48X18X20 and has a 10inch wide and 3/8inch thick glass center brace.

this is the info. I found about ocean view aquariums.. it gives there address, phone and fax numbers.. and says they have 19 employees.. :D

at 20 inches high all the glass will likely be 3/8inch glass and the center braces should be fine..

it sounds like you have a 100 gallon tank..
after reaserching mumba's and haps. I wouldnt put but the least aggresive mumba with haps.. maybe thats just my oppinion though.. :)

btw.. you might have seen me if you looked in the SW forums lately..LOL

I havnt posted alot.. Ive been doing a little more reef reaserch..

I'm getting haps and peacocks and I'm going for a stag tank. The lfs owner cut me a deal (I think) so I got the 100 gallon. It came with 2 AC 110s and I plan to add 2 AC 50s. I already have these filters and I don't want to buy anymore. Good to hear from you.

Im assuming that the tank was reef ready.. sounds like you have a project for the future.. LOL joke..

Seems like your plans are moving.. seems like a bit faster then me.. Ive just now desided what RO/DI I want to get.. Im getting closer on desiding lighting.. its a bit frustrating IMO.

Hope your fish get along.. remember.. redused feeding and turning down the temperature a little can help with aggression if all else fails.. :D

Good Luck..

Back
Top Bottom