Experiences with Fluval Lab Series Nitrate Remover

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Paul1792

Aquarium Advice Freak
I found the product available through Amazon:

Amazon.com: Hagen A1502 Fluval Lab Series Nitrate Remover, 150-Gram, 5.3-Ounce: Pet Supplies

and was wondering if anyone with an aquaclear or a Fluval C series (or other) HOB has used this with any luck. It gets mostly positive but some negative reviews on Amazon.

Since I have to pay $1 a gallon for spring water due poor tap water, the product would pay for itself by letting me keep my twice monthly 25% water change/vacuum substrate routine instead of weekly.

I have not tried Seachem De-Nitrate because you must keep the flow under 50 GPH per hour. This instructions say put it as last step of filtration ...... but it would problably work just as well in a Fluval filter in the second step .... along with Seachem Purigen.

Any comments or experience sharing would be appreciated.

How do you re-charge it? I've used API nitr-zorb which seemed to work and recharged in salt solution. I've only used it a few times so not sure what the limit is.

I have used this product and it does indeed work. You recharge it in aquarium salt water. You put it in your filter and check your nitrate levels in a couple days. Once nitrate levels are down you remove it from the filter and recharge it for use. It's not something you keep in the filter all the time. Plus it has a limit to how much nitrate it can absorb so you have to see if that works for you.

I have used this product and it does indeed work. You recharge it in aquarium salt water. You put it in your filter and check your nitrate levels in a couple days. Once nitrate levels are down you remove it from the filter and recharge it for use. It's not something you keep in the filter all the time. Plus it has a limit to how much nitrate it can absorb so you have to see if that works for you.
Thanks Rivercats. I guess I'll be ordering some Fluval nitrate reducer along with my new two new AquaClear 50 HOB's so I can retire the AquaTech 30-60 ..... that does work ........ but the mess and pain of doing 100% homemade media plus the floss prefilter has prompted me to get the easy to use aquaclears as a Christmas present to myself !!!!.

I found the product available through Amazon:

Amazon.com: Hagen A1502 Fluval Lab Series Nitrate Remover, 150-Gram, 5.3-Ounce: Pet Supplies

and was wondering if anyone with an aquaclear or a Fluval C series (or other) HOB has used this with any luck. It gets mostly positive but some negative reviews on Amazon.

Since I have to pay $1 a gallon for spring water due poor tap water, the product would pay for itself by letting me keep my twice monthly 25% water change/vacuum substrate routine instead of weekly.

I have not tried Seachem De-Nitrate because you must keep the flow under 50 GPH per hour. This instructions say put it as last step of filtration ...... but it would problably work just as well in a Fluval filter in the second step .... along with Seachem Purigen.

Any comments or experience sharing would be appreciated.

Unless your tank is really lightly stocked, you should really be doing weekly water changes.

It will work until it absorbs until a certain amount of nitrates are removed. It tells on the container how much. It usually only needs to be used 3 or 4 days tops before removing it and recharging it.

I have only ever used the Fluval brand so can't comment about the stuff on that link, sorry.

Back
Top Bottom