Experiment Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GodFan

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I am considering starting this experiment and want to blog it on here!
So my experiment is to create the most natural filtration possible in an inclosed system.

So shall we begin?

Hardware:
20 gallon tall aquarium
Powerhead (undecided on brand)
Light
Maybe an airstone to combat protien scum

Substrate will be sand. I plan to have some granite like rock and some nice driftwood as the main hardscape.

Plants:
Java moss
Wisteria (or water sprite)
Parrot feather (some semi aquatic plant from my LFS)
Pothos vine

Livestock:
African dwarf frogs
Betta
Rcs
Snails
Possible a filter feeder like a clam or a fan shrimp.

The plan is to place the rock in front of the powerhead as a place to grow bb (liverock anyone?) Then surround the whole powerhead with javamoss as a mechanical filyration. The shrimp should feast on tje buildup in the java moss.

I dont know how well this will work but this is partly a research project for my dream tank. If this works according to plan we will have clear, pure water with a filtration that needs very little maintenance!

Thoughts and suggestions welcome! Thanks and God bless!

I would absolutely skip the clam in this system. I would also probably look into doing a deep sand bed. Other than that ill be interested to see what happens.

I would absolutely skip the clam in this system. I would also probably look into doing a deep sand bed. Other than that ill be interested to see what happens.

Yes comsidered a deep sand bed as well. I am hoping this also keeps the water clean without me getting involved often.

I will do with the pics! The tank is a 20 gallon. My dream tank is much bigger :)

Back
Top Bottom