Exploding neons at LFS this weekend.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JerryO

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I went to my LFS this weekend planning to get 10 neons for my newly cycled tank. He filled the bag with water, added the fish, and when he picked it up from the air filling station disaster!!! The newly air filled bag slipped from his hands and exploded when it hit the floor. We both sprung into action quickly and whipped out some credit cards and put the fish in his quarantine tank which happened to be right next to the fill station. The longest any of them were out was about 45 seconds. We let them swim for a while and all looked OK so I went home with some discount tetras, and he threw a few extra in for free from the main tank.

I wasn’t sure if I wanted to take them after the incident, but I also know they have a better chance in my cycled tank instead of the next idiot that walks in to buy tetras with a tank full of new tap water. He has a 14 day guarantee so I am not worried. This morning they are all doing well so I am hopeful.

I wish I could have had a picture of our faces when the bag was falling. Im sure it was priceless.

I would've liked to have seen that picture too!

They'll probably be okay, the water in the bag probably absorbed most of the impact's energy. I've had fish jump out of my tank and land on the ground before from pretty high up, and they're fine as long as I find and get them back in the water quick enough.

+1. Fish seem to be pretty tough as long as they aren't out long.

Nice save!

lol :D that's nuts! i'm sure they will do fine, just a bit shocked at first i'm sure!! that must have been kinda comical for any onlookers i imagine :biglol:

Or allow hachet fish to train you into getting a fitted hood. ;)

Ha, try having a jaguar cichlid (managuense) jump out as I was dumping in his feeder goldfish. He caught the goldfish mid-air then landed on the floor. Friggin thing was 14 inches and mean as sin. Dang I really miss that guy, lived to be 11 years old.

Pssst my hatchets jump out too. No idea where they leap from, full fitted hood. I find them trapped between the glass and the backdrop

I have had them jump out also . All have been saved but the one mystery of the disappearing Red-Eye . I believe it made the Evel Knievel Snake River canyon jump and became a Scooby snack for one of my dogs .

Day 3 update: Lost 1 but all of the others are healthy. Eating and swimming well. I think I am out of the woord now. ;)

Hopefully I wont have any other excitement in my aquarium adventure for a while.

Back
Top Bottom