External canisters in series

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scottishscales

Aquarium Advice Activist
I will be upgrading my Eheim2211 to a 2215 but I don't want to just stick my other canister in the box and let it collect dust. Can I run them in series? I've read about a sub-filter setup but don't know how to go about it. Thoughts and suggestions?

"There's always a bigger fish." - Qui-Gon Ginn

Why not run them separately?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I would but my only concern would be with current. I only have a 46 gal bow front with mostly neons and glolites and if I run too much filtration won't the current make them get sick from stress

"There's always a bigger fish." - Qui-Gon Ginn

I have run two canisters with small fish and think that is a valid concern. It helps if there are some quiet spots. I found they were ok even though I did nothing special. They used to hang around near a rock or under a filter sometimes.

i run a fluval 206 with a pre filter,and i clean the pre filter every month and the fluval 206 once every 6 months..here is a picture of the pre filter i use and how i connect it.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1465728152.823977.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1465728165.973831.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

i run a fluval 206 with a pre filter,and i clean the pre filter every month and the fluval 206 once every 6 months..here is a picture of the pre filter i use and how i connect it.
View attachment 287316
View attachment 287317

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Do you actually run them both? In other words, are both filters plugged in with the motor running?

To my knowledge, the prefilter has no electric motor. It just gets sucked from the main filter. If this is true, im guesing flowrate will be decreased. But at least you get lots of stages of filtration.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom