External filter pumping air.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fenwick5439

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Help. I have just set up a tank and the external filter is constantly pumping air through with the water. This in turn is causing a the water flow to stop for a few seconds then start pumping again. This is my third tank set up now but I've never had this prob before....... The tank is around 380 ltr and is sitting on the floor. The filter is also sitting on the floor. Could this be the cause?? Please advise.

Most Likley this is the culprit the filter should be lower then the tank air pockets are probably building inside the filter because of this try elevating the tank and leaving the filter on the floor

Thanks. I heard that the filter had to be lower than the tank a few years ago, but I've seen a few set ups that contradict this. But it seems to be the main culprit. I will lift the tank and hope this solves it. There goes the fancy coffee table idea!! Ha.. Thanks again. Tom.

Lol well I have a 75 with external canister under it it shoots air occasionally but not a lot so I'm almost positive that's why maybe try re priming it and make sure there are no leaks in the intake that could be sucking air into the lines

In your case, it sounds like the problem is that the filter is not in the proper location. Other reasons you might have air in your filter is that you have worn out gaskets, cracked valve block, or your hoses are not clamped tight. Usually though, if you have air getting in somewhere you will see water leaking from somewhere else (not always).

Thanks phin. I've put two different filters on it and its happened both times. Looks like I will have to raise the tank.

Thanks phin. I've put two different filters on it and its happened both times. Looks like I will have to raise the tank.

Well I've sourced the problem with my filter! Yeah. I found that the connection valve on the inlet had a perished o ring thus causing air to be sucked into the filter, a replacement part sorted out the problem in seconds!! Something to remember in the future.
Thanks for all the advice guys.

Back
Top Bottom