Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-30-2019, 08:26 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Extra flow for mollies

So I've been wondering if my mollies would benefit from extra water movement in the tank. Right now I gavd a HOB filter that provides water movement but do to the support bar in the middle of the tank (55 gallons) it is off to the one side.
If I were to add extra water movement what would be the best method? Like I know airstone can provide some movement. Saltwater aquariums have wavemakers could I use something like that for a freshwater tank?

Old 06-30-2019, 12:34 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

You could try a power head.

https://www.amazon.com/MarineLand-Ma...gateway&sr=8-8

Old 06-30-2019, 02:53 PM   #3
Grand Poobah of Fish Poo

Koralia makes a good pump that would give you more flow: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=koralia+p...f=sr_nr_p_89_1
Old 06-30-2019, 08:34 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Thanks but would they benefit from it?
Old 07-15-2019, 12:06 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

I have one of the Koralia Nano pumps in my 38G and Mollies seem to like it, the GloFish Tetras seem like for a moment. So, I have it on a timer to come twice a day for an hour each time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraB View Post
Thanks but would they benefit from it?
Old 07-15-2019, 01:07 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Your Mollies

Quote:
So I've been wondering if my mollies would benefit from extra water movement in the tank. Right now I gavd a HOB filter that provides water movement but do to the support bar in the middle of the tank (55 gallons) it is off to the one side.
If I were to add extra water movement what would be the best method? Like I know airstone can provide some movement. Saltwater aquariums have wavemakers could I use something like that for a freshwater tank?
Hello Sara...

You won't need to add oxygen if you're removing and replacing most of the tank water every week. Mollies require better water conditions than the other species of live bearing fish, because of their extreme sensitivity to traces of nitrogen in their tank water. If you were to change half or more of the water weekly, you could maintain a good oxygen level without adding another mechanical gizmo that will require maintenance.

B
Old 07-15-2019, 02:51 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I'm not worried about oxygen levels as all the plants in there are live and I change 50% of ghe water every week. I just wanted to know if they preferred the extra exercise they would get from more water movement. Like they are found in rivers in the wild.
Old 07-15-2019, 03:55 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Your Mollies

Quote:
I'm not worried about oxygen levels as all the plants in there are live and I change 50% of ghe water every week. I just wanted to know if they preferred the extra exercise they would get from more water movement. Like they are found in rivers in the wild.
Sara...

Actually, the plants won't do nearly as good a job of mixing the oxygen into the tank water as the water change. The plants have no means of agitating the water's surface. Mollies come from coastal, brackish areas that are typically water logged and have little natural current. So, the easy, more gentle current generated by a smaller water filtering system would be just right for them.

B

Tags
flow, mollie, mollies

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com