Extra flow for mollies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SaraB

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I've been wondering if my mollies would benefit from extra water movement in the tank. Right now I gavd a HOB filter that provides water movement but do to the support bar in the middle of the tank (55 gallons) it is off to the one side.
If I were to add extra water movement what would be the best method? Like I know airstone can provide some movement. Saltwater aquariums have wavemakers could I use something like that for a freshwater tank?

Your Mollies

So I've been wondering if my mollies would benefit from extra water movement in the tank. Right now I gavd a HOB filter that provides water movement but do to the support bar in the middle of the tank (55 gallons) it is off to the one side.
If I were to add extra water movement what would be the best method? Like I know airstone can provide some movement. Saltwater aquariums have wavemakers could I use something like that for a freshwater tank?

Hello Sara...

You won't need to add oxygen if you're removing and replacing most of the tank water every week. Mollies require better water conditions than the other species of live bearing fish, because of their extreme sensitivity to traces of nitrogen in their tank water. If you were to change half or more of the water weekly, you could maintain a good oxygen level without adding another mechanical gizmo that will require maintenance.

B

I'm not worried about oxygen levels as all the plants in there are live and I change 50% of ghe water every week. I just wanted to know if they preferred the extra exercise they would get from more water movement. Like they are found in rivers in the wild.

Your Mollies

I'm not worried about oxygen levels as all the plants in there are live and I change 50% of ghe water every week. I just wanted to know if they preferred the extra exercise they would get from more water movement. Like they are found in rivers in the wild.

Sara...

Actually, the plants won't do nearly as good a job of mixing the oxygen into the tank water as the water change. The plants have no means of agitating the water's surface. Mollies come from coastal, brackish areas that are typically water logged and have little natural current. So, the easy, more gentle current generated by a smaller water filtering system would be just right for them.

B

Back
Top Bottom