Extracting Snails?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dskidmore

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm almost done converting over to the 75 gallon. I have left a decent quantity of gravel that may have beneficial snails in it. Any ideas on how to extract them for transfer to the new tank? I'm thinking perhaps a plate on top of the gravel with some sort of bait on it.

Hrm.... lettuce didn't do well this year, never planted spinach, think blanched grape leaves will work?

dskidmore said:
Hrm.... lettuce didn't do well this year, never planted spinach, think blanched grape leaves will work?

you cant buy some from the store?

well.... last night my power went out for like 8-12 hours. before i went to bed almost all my mts were either on top of the gravel or on the glass. i have a TON.

you could try keeping them in the tank without a filter or air pump or anything. and they should come onto the glass by themselves? im not sure, because ive never really been successful getting them out, unless i use a net (which is a pain) or pull them out by hand (which is another pain)

AshleyNicole said:
dskidmore said:

you cant buy some from the store?
Sure I could, but given the price of gas, and my usual shopping schedule, it would be much more convenient to go to my backyard.

Speaking of Malaysian Trumpet Snails, has anyone gotten them from Aquatic Plant Depot? Would you have them shipped Priority, or do they require Express? Or would you just get a small number of them locally?

The snails I have are of an unknown variety, (shaped like mystery snails but don't even get to be 1/4" across,) but the plants I see them on always look healthy, and they even helped some when I had a hair algae outbreak. These snails are regularly seen in Petsmart plant displays locally.

Oh, and don't try to microwave blanch a single grape leaf. It does not have enough water, and turns crispy instead of limp.

i just asked for a handful of MTS at the fish store i saw in a tank and he gave me about 10.. i have tons now. I also have some other type of snail, i don't know how i got it, but they look like the mystery snails, i had one and now i have 3.. mysterious definitely... they aren't pond snails, they are shaped more like ramshorn snails...

AshleyNicole said:
i just asked for a handful of MTS at the fish store i saw in a tank and he gave me about 10.. i have tons now. I also have some other type of snail, i don't know how i got it, but they look like the mystery snails, i had one and now i have 3.. mysterious definitely... they aren't pond snails, they are shaped more like ramshorn snails...
The only stores around here with a plant selection (most likely places to find snails) are the big chains (least likely to give you something for free without calling in management.)

well you could just pick out 15-20 or the biggest snails and within a month the population should have grown to about the same size i think.

krap101 said:
well you could just pick out 15-20 or the biggest snails and within a month the population should have grown to about the same size i think.
Yeah, it doesn't take many, but I have to get them to come out where I can see them. These guys are little, and impossible to see against the gravel.

Another use for snails: fry tanks. I always end up overfeeding the little fry, but between snails on the bottom, and water sprite up top, it all works out and stays clean.

I really didn't have any luck extracting those snails; but not to worry, my "new" (as of a few months ago) plants apparently had eggs on them. I have at least two new species of snails in the tank now.

I better cut back on feeding, I've got a huge population explosion on my hands!

Back
Top Bottom