Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-21-2013, 01:53 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

no, as long as you clean it in old tank water rather than tap, you wont kill off enough bacteria to make any difference in your cycle

If I were you, I'd make some time to do atleast a 75% w/c ASAP. Also, keep a VERY close eye on your water parameters, your ammonia is sure to spike.
My best friends son dumped a brand new container of flakes into one of my 20 gallons once and I didn't notice till it was time for bed. Thought I'd be okay to put it off until the morning before work, but that ended up being one of the biggest mistakes ever. Everyone in that tank was dead the next morning besides a single bristlenose juvenile.

Old 06-21-2013, 02:49 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

I would do this the other way around.

All this will be using treated water, so if I say water I mean treated water.

Take out fish and place into your container with clean treated water. Add your air bubbler.

Rinse the rocks through a sieve with treated water then rinse in a 5G bucket, it will take a bunch of water. Then slosh in bucket of clean water slosh off all plants and decos.

Rinse and add a new clean bucket of water put in all plants and decos into the cleaned water in bucket.

Remove anything else off of the tank so it is only the tank.

Rinse it out with water in the sink or bath tub, (you can use faucet water)

Put every thing back like you are setting up a new tank. Make sure water is at the right temp. add filter and just gently rinse off the filter pads.

Your tank will likely need to recycle or have a mini cycle.

The ammonia from the food will kill your fish. If you don't get that all out of there. It can burn the gills and cause severe health issues if it does make it.

The Pleco will not be able to help enough with a mess like that.

Make sure you test the water every day to see that you don't have water quality issues from the new cycle. Read up on "fish in" cycling. Water changes will likely need to be made.

Don't add more fish for a number of weeks to make sure your new or mini cycle is under control.

Mishaps can and do happen all the time. Fish chemicals aren't good for curious kids, maybe you can add a lock like for desk drawer or file cabinet. Big box hardware stores have them and you would need a drill to add a hole. They basically screw in!

New to FW fish? First tank in a long time or EVER??? Need some info on keeping fish?
Start here - Aquarium Advice Article
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide-...ater-aquarium/

Community Rules
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...ork&page=rules

FW & SW
Favorite tank right now -12G PRL Shrimp
Autumnsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 01:17 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

I did a 75% water change and it's almost like overnight everything cleared up. I check the water 2 times a day and so far everything is good. Of course its only been a day and a half but I will take all the good lol
Old 06-23-2013, 01:26 PM   #14
AA Team Emeritus

Glad you're back on track. Keep up the water changes. I'd suggest locking the food up and getting a lid for the tank so it doesn't happen again.
Old 06-23-2013, 02:06 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yea. I don't quite understand why the sudden interest in the fish tank but it's time to get creative!

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com