Fact or fiction ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

J-T-T

Aquarium Advice Regular
For all the experts out there? Can Ich be caused by the stress of bringing fish home from the store?
I just left the 'big box retail pet store" I bought 6 fish from last Friday. Within 3 days there was a huge outbreak of Ich. Have lost 2 fish already and not looking good for 2 more. The lady I spoke to denied the the fish were sick at time of purchase and said it was caused by the stress of transport? She did however say that she was currently treated some of her other fish for Ich.

Ich doesn't just magically appear. It was likely either present on the fish when you bought it and/or present in the LFS's water. It's a fairly potent bug, so it can commonly infect otherwise healthy fish, but a fish that just got brought home (usually fairly stressful) from the LFS (usually suboptimal conditions) might be a little more weakened and therefore more susceptible.

Either way, the problem originates at the LFS

Thanks!! That is what I had thought but needed confirmation. I have had the temp up to 31c for 3 days now. I can still see the Ich on the fish that are still with us but it is less. How long does it usually take before I see improvement and get anymore concerned for the fish?

I'm not really sure, but I would think that it would depend on the fish and the extent of the problem. I will say that you should probably give it at LEAST two weeks to make sure you get all the ich.

I had ick in my tank 2 months ago. Keep the Temperature at 31 for 2 weeks, You're going to see Ick on the fish for atleast another week. After that it wont be on the fish anymore, but it will still be present in the tank for another week. After 14 Days you can lower the temp back to normal. What type of fish do you have? Depending on that, you can safely raise the Temperature a little more and it will get rid of the ick a little quicker.

Well, NOW I have 4 neon tetras and a barb plus a pleco. how high of a temp can they all tolerate? Not sure if the pleco will seal with the salt?!?

Just finished another 50% pwc. With all the death my ammonia levels have crazy. The fish seem to be super happy now!!! Nice to see them that way with everything they have been through!!!

Attachments

• image-1170068642.jpg
    image-1170068642.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 45
Back
Top Bottom