Fairly new and I have allot more questions.....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

amyb_70

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi all, I am pretty new at the aquarium hobby and have some more questions hoping to get some good, honest advice, please be honest but not rude.. well here is what i have right now: a 10 gallon freshwater that is holding fry and very small endlers, the filter is covered with girls stockings to prevent fry from getting sucked in, next i have a 20 gallon long which houses an african albino frog (not sure been told dwarf and not dwarf by the same store), i also have a cory, and a couple goldfish in there, sand substrate, a 29 gallon which is houseing guppies, and a variety of tetras, along with cory AE, and 2 ghost shrimp, 2 bumble bee i forgets, gravel bottom, filter covered w/ stocking have lost guppies by their tail fin getting stuck in it. and a little betta tank. so heres the questions (many are silly for those who are experienced):
* can i put some kind of AE in the fry tank or will they eat the fry
*do ghost shrimp molt
* is sand or gravel better for the tetras and/or guppies
* how do i clean the sand
* how long can i keep the same sand in a tank
* can i put the betta in one of the larger tanks ( i feel bad he barely has room to move)
* how often should i really do a water change and how much of a change
also note I have another 29 gal that i want to transfer the guppies (and endlers when big enough) into.
* what is the best and safest way for me to move my guppies from 1 tank to another? my thought was to take a decent amount of water from the tank they are in now and put that in the one i will be setting up for the guppies and endlers

im sure i will have more questions as people comment but for now its all i can think of

I am a beginner myself with my tank being only 8 months old so I'll answer the ones I kno which may not be a lot lol.
-usually if it fits in its mouth a fish may eat another fish but i dont know about your particular fish.
-shrimp do molt and they may eat part of or all of their shed exoskeleton.
-you clean sand by running the gravel vacuum just over the sand so you don't pick any sand up.
-I do weekly water changes and I feel the fish look better from weekly changes than monthly. I do 60% changes, but I think it's only recommended to do 25%. Again, I just feel my fish do better with larger changes so that one is strictly my opinion.
Hope I helped.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Hi. When I move fish from my Quarantine tank to my main tank I do about a third water change in my QT using water from my main tank. I do this twice, over two days. The water of each tank is then fairly well matched and I have no problem swapping fish from QT to main. I NEVER allow any water from the QT to go into the main tank. Hope that's of some help.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thank you Luv, you did help. I always notice what appears to be part of a ghost shrimp when I do water changes, but when I'm done they are all accounted for. I have 2 in my 10 gal baby tank to help clean the bottom today I found part of one but thankfully both were still there. The 1st time I ever did a water change I forgot about them and smooshed a couple.
So it sounds kind of easy to clean the sand. I'd like to put it in the larger tanks.
I prefer larger water change also.
Thanks again.

Thank you Scot, yes it is. I was thinking about half the water when I set up assuming it's pretty clean. I'd like to do it a couple days after water change and I was also thinking maybe I should run the current filter in new tank and put the new filter in the tank that's been running. So that way it has the good bacteria constantly flowing. What's your thought on that? Thanks again for the help.

Hi. If both tanks are fully cycled then I can't see any reason for moving the filters, just make sure all new water is conditioned to remove chlorine etc. to avoid killing any bacteria.

Back
Top Bottom