Fake plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

guppytank29

Aquarium Advice Regular
I was just wondering is there a difference between plastic and silk planks as far as the tank goes? i mean does one help/hurt your tank more than the other or is it more just the look of the plants?

Plastic plants can damage long finned fish. Silk are safer for them.

Just be careful with what type of silk plants you use. Some of the cheaper ones will start to unravel after awhile.

I was just wondering is there a difference between plastic and silk planks as far as the tank goes? i mean does one help/hurt your tank more than the other or is it more just the look of the plants?
The difference between them has already been listed. I'll state my opinion anyway.

I suppose around here plastic ones are more common, so most people around here have those. If you don't have long-finned fish, it will boil down to whatever you like best. Good luck!

I do prefer live plants, however given only a choice between plastic and silk, good quality silk plants look more real and do protect the fish more.

Silk is harder to clean algae off of. I don't think I even own any fake plants anymore... Live plants can seem intimidating but once you have them you won't ever want to go back....

I want to follow this thread. My plastic plants are getting a brownish algae but it is easy to clean. My silk plants have more like stains that aren't cleanable that I can tell and are coming apart.

What brand silk plants are good?

A weak bleach solution, and gentle scrubbing if necessary, will clean up silk plants nicely. Of course, remember to rinse and dechlorinate well before you put them back in the tank.

What are good quality silk plants? Brands? Are they in stores? Mine are realign starting to come apart.

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom