Fake sw fw idea

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Blucat

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I was at the lfs, and they had this decoration thing. It really struck me and looked really great. It was a fake anenmoe and when you put it in water, the tentacles would rise up and wave around in the current. and that got me thinking.

Some people want a sw tank but it is too hard so they end up with a fw tank. But, what about a fw tank that looks like sw tank?

Some sw looking fake rock maybe with some sort of moss on it, and sand as substrate with coral or small shells? Aswell as some seashells, fake starfish and fake anenomes and corals and stuff. Maybe for live plants some seagrass looking stuff like val? For the last bit a sw background?

And then fish... sort of sw similar fish like angelfish, clown loach, type of eel, type of shark? and maybe some crustacean, freshwater clams/mussels shrimp sort of .... i dunno what would work

But i was just pondering.... 8O

Glad to see you shared your idea with us. Its definitely an option. There are many things you can do with a fw tank - making it look like a sw tank is one of them. I haven't thought of an idea like this, but i'm sure you could get plastic/ceramic decorations to make it look like a sw setup. Only difference would be the salt in the water and less colorful fish. Sw fish for the most part are much prettier than fw fish imo.

-Stewie

Well even the fish do not neccesarily have to be less colourful...A good many of the African lake Ciclids are brightly coloured and beautiful. Or if you wanted to keep softwater species you could use gold or blue blushing Angels, maybe Rams -although I am not sure about the Rams compatability- maybe some variety of rarer tetra, flame or blueberry? You could also get one of those Blue Lobsters -which are Crayfish- and maybe some shrimp......Hmmm. Anyway just my 2 cents!

This concept is far from a new one. Numerous manufacturer's have produced decorations (rock, corals, sponges, etc.) that a FW person can place in their tanks.

As mentioned, the only problem is, once you get to the actual livestock, the jig is up!
Sw fish for the most part are much prettier than fw fish imo

And a very nice opinion indeed, and more expensive...LOL

Back
Top Bottom