Fan that allows lid to stay on?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Makaveli

Aquarium Advice Regular
Well I'm living in California right now, and it's pretty hot out here...my room temperature seems to be even worse. I'm looking into getting a fan that blows on the surface of the water but really want to keep the lid on in fear of any jumpers.

Are there any fans out there that allow this? Or maybe a method of making it work? My water temperature keeps getting up to about 82-84F and I really want it to stay at around 77. I've been using bottles filled with frozen water but that only brings it down maybe a degree or two at most, and only temporarily. Any advice is appreciated (y)

I have the same problem. My tank in rare cases reaches 86-88. I just put an AC Unit in that room. Problem solved.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

A fan blowing across the tank will only lower it a couple degrees or so. To get it down to 77 from 82-84 you'll need an actual aquarium chiller. That said, I've used this fan before to lower the temp without removing the top:
Amazon.com : Zoo Med Aqua Cool Aquarium Cooling Fan : Aquarium Cooler : Pet Supplies

Beware, it gets noisy pretty quickly (after 2-3 months for me) if left running 24/7. This is especially true if you have animals, as their fur can work their way inside the fan and gum up the bearing so it rattles.

I've seen that one that you linked before Luananeko and I've heard the same complaints about it being noisy...if having a shedding pet makes it worse, I'm in trouble because I have an indoor pitbull that sheds like no other haha. I may still have to order it though just to help in the mean time...the couple months that it does last should help out until summer is over.
Thanks for the suggestion, any others are more than welcome!

Yeah, I have 3 cats (2 longhair, 1 shorthair) and a dog (Australian Kelpie/Golden Retriever/Collie mix, AKA 10 dogs worth of fur in one), so they did a number on the fan's noise level pretty quickly...

It's why I gave up on the fan in very short order and instead went with a sump filter with lots of opportunity for evaporation. Such an option still doesn't lower the temp as much as you need, but it dropped the temp about 3 degrees and gave me more filtration/water capacity :)

I got a Jebo dual fan at the LFS yesterday and it works really good for my 20 tall. I saw the temp go up to 85 yesterday at the hottest point before picking this up...now it stays at a consistent 79-80...stays in the safe zone on the thermometer finally. :D

Thank you guys for the replies. I do agree that video that Mebbid posted is pretty genius! Good to have that info in case things get out of hand.

For now though I think I found my solution. I gave the fan I purchased (Jebo dual) a little more time to settle in and I'm getting a consistent temperature of 78F now! Perfect little dual fan for a 20 tall if anyone else is having temperature problems. :cool:

Back
Top Bottom