Fancy always hanging at top of tank..why?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ruth

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have noticed my fancy is always hanging at the topof the tank gasping! Why do they do this? I have 2 filters going so really plenty of aeration in there!

How do your water parameters look? Are they still in the small tank? Are there any other symptoms (flashing, red gills, spots, sores, lack of appetite etc)?

There is no other signs... What temperature should it be? I'm not taken temperatures before as I have cold water tank.

Yes I've still got a 10g tank...the water tests shows ... I have not got the room to get a bigger tank so all the problems keep occuring.
Nitrates 0
Nitrites 0
PH 7.4
Ammonia 0

As I learned the hard way, you really have to carefully follow the directions on the Nitrate test. There's very rarely 0 nitrates.

You are using a good liquid test kit?

Hi Jen
I always use the api test liquid kit... Would the high ph be a factor in fish hanging at top? Just checked it and it's a dark blue colour

Mine is dark blue also if I use the regular pH test. I need to use the "High Range pH" test to get an accurate number. Mine is consistently 7.4 on that chart.

Not much hope I don't think... Started SB treatment this am... Starting to think why me? Can't keep fish longer than few months :( I just want a fish that lasts for years... How often I clean out the tank they still are dying :( maybe I need to go back to a smaller tank

I am sorry, Ruth :( Goldfish can not survive & be happy & healthy in a tiny tank- this is your primary issue here.

5 years ago I bought a 30l litre tank and had a comet and shubunkin they lived for 4 years....in 2011 I upgraded to a 35l tank....and I have no end of trouble with fish....so a small tank looks like a better solution

Unfortunately this is a common misconception. Goldfish need a lot of water to grow out and live healthily. Shubunkins can easily live to be 15 years old. In a larger tank he would have lived longer. I'm not trying to be critical, but JLK is right. It's just the honest truth.

Thats fine if you only want to deal with a small tank. Comets & shubunkins live well in excess of 20yrs, some as long as 40yrs. Just no goldfish in these small tank. Stock with appropriate fish and this will go a long way to eliminating the issues you are having.

The goldfish could be having a swim bladder syndrome. This is when the goldfish isn't able to swim the right way, you can feed it some Blanche peas which helps its digestion.

Thx everyone :) I just want to feel that I am a good fish keeper and at the moment I don't :( what appropriate fish can I stock in a 35l?

35l is @9g. If you post a stocking thread asking for help, I am sure you will receive plenty of suggestions. You can also do a search on here for stocking suggestions for a 10g and you will find a couple dozen threads full of ideas. :)

Back
Top Bottom