Fancy Goldfish Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Thaiboxer

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi all -

I am fairly experienced with FW aquariums, I run a 55 gallon SA cichlid tank at home. This question is regarding my 10 gallon tank I just set up at work.

This tank has been running for 1 month with 2 fancy goldfish. However, 1 died about a week ago. He always looked weak, so it was no surprise. Today I bought another fancy goldfish and a very small pleco (as he grows, he'll be moved to my large tank).

The new fancy goldfish is black, and has a few tiny white spots on one side. Having lost a great many fish to ich as a newbie, I'm paranoid! I'm going to wait to take action until I have a better idea of whether this is ich or not, but I'm wondering how to treat it in this tank. Why's that, you ask?

I've had great success treating ich with heat and salt. However, fancy goldfish are colder water fish - will they hold up to either? If it's ich, can I slowly crank up the temperature without killing off my fish? What about goldfish and a small amount of salt?

I'd appreciate advice from anyone who knows about fancy goldfish.

Thanks!

I have a solution called MelaFix that my local pet store says treats most everything a goldfish can get. It is a natural solution made from Tea tree and will not harm other fish in the tank. You might also try melachite green of formalin. however I have read that chemicals tend to take longer to rid of the disease due to the bacteria developing immunities to them that is why I would recommend the MelaFix first. As well as frequent water changes. Good Luck!

i had one of my godies up at 82 for 3 weeks and she seemed fine, though it didn't help her dropsy.

Melafix has absolutely no effect on ich preciousmoments. If this is ich, it needs to be treated properly ASAP.

I wouldn't do the high temps with the goldies; I don't think they'll handle those temps for the period of time needed for the treatment. Both the plec and the goldfish should handle the salt treatment fine tho. Keep in mind you'll need a hydrometer (if you don't have one already); the ppt must be over 2 and since each salt has diff levels of chloride, its impossible to know if you have the right amount just by adding salt.

Do keep an eye on the plec tho; I've heard of younger plecs not dealing with the salt levels well (my 8 inch plec didn't even blink). If he looks uncomfortable or unhappy, you'll have to medicate. Even then its an issue; meds are dangerous for scaless fish. I think you already read my article; do reread it for details :)

And are you QTing the new fish? If not, 40 lashes with a wet fin!

Yup, I've heard many pet shop employees claim that Melafix is the magic cure-all! I believed them at the beginning too. My platy was pooping white stuff and it didn't help at all. :roll: Apparently it's wonderful for certain case of torn fins though.

Thanks for the heads up on the MelaFix thing guys. I was going purely off what the fish store people told me. But I am greatfull that it seems to be curing what ever it is my fancy fantail (Squirt) had. The only thing I am sure of is my problem was fungus and amonia level to high which i have under control now. As I have said before I am still learning and if I make a suggestion that is incorrect welcome being corrected. So thank you for mentioning that platylady.
Cristina

Actually precious, its likely controlling the nitrogenous wastes has been enough to help your goldie heal. Fresh clean treated water is the number one best way to help fish improve weakened immune systems, and its weakened immune systems that open the door to many types of infections. By improving water quality you are giving you baby a chance to fight off the fungus itself; I had a similar issue with an angelfish of mine. I upped the amount of water changes and that did the trick :) That being said, I've discovered Melafix is great for helping fish repair torn fins!

Its just a shame water changes are not enough to treat parastical infestations *sigh*

Is he a black moor? Where are the white spots at? Fanatils often get what appear to be white spots on the trailing edge of the fins as they go thru a growth spurt, however these spots will be in the same spots on both sides of the fish fins. Black moors generally like slightly cooler water than say orandas or ryukins.

Back
Top Bottom