Fancy Goldfish with Algae Eaters???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

misslizzy88

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Does anyone have any ideas good or bad, about putting a kind of algae eater with Fancy Goldfish? I have 3 beautiful fish and I want to keep them as clean and healthy as I can! Love them! I am a new fish mom and am just looking for the best advice for my little piglets!

You might want to look into a hillstream loach. They stay very small, only about 2.5", and are wonderful algea eaters. And they just look really cool. I have been keeping one in a tropical tank but am considering setting up a coldwater tank to move it over to because my most recent research suggests they would thrive better in that environment. They do need increased oxygen and current in the tank so you'll want to run air stones or a bubble wall. I have mine in a 29 gal and I run 2 airstones, one at each side of the tank, and that seems to do well for him. If you had a larger tank, I'd run more air. They are really awesome. Commonly sold as a butterfly pleco.

I agree with a loach. A couple/few khuli loaches might work too, and don't really need the flow. They're shy fellows, but they're neat to watch. However, for actual algae eating, go with oto's. Thye have personality, but make **** sure to supliment feed. They starve to death easy.

I have bristlenose in all my tanks including my lady friends fancy gold fish tank and my shubunkin tank.

+1 to bristlenose, oto and hillstream loach.

Also you might consider a clown pleco? They stay pretty small too.

Just make sure that you aren't putting any Chinese Algae Eaters in that tank. They will eventually attack the goldfish and they will have no defense against them.

Thank you everyone for your advise! There is some much good and bad advise out there, and myself being a newbie needs all the "411" I can get! I will post when I decide on a few fellow tankmates for my lovlies!

Bristlenose plecos would be your best option. They are the best at eating algae IME and won't bother the goldfish.

Thanks Fishguy! That is the kind of advise I need. I worry about my fish and want the best for them. I have heard that algae eaters could attach themselves to other fish and suck on them! Don't know if that is true but my fancys are VERY healthy and I only want to add what is good for them. If that means not adding a thing... then I will go with that. If the Bristlenose plecos will help keep them clean, then I will go with them. Thanks again!

Shadowraven said:
Just make sure that you aren't putting any Chinese Algae Eaters in that tank. They will eventually attack the goldfish and they will have no defense against them.

+1

The CAE will go after the goldfish at night and feed off their slime.

Yeah! That is what I've heard! I want to totally avoid that ...obviously! Thanks Mr Limpet!

I had a rubber lip pleco do the same thing, tore up their sides and took out one's eye.

Fishguy2727 said:
I had a rubber lip pleco do the same thing, tore up their sides and took out one's eye.

+1

If Plecos don't have enough Algae they will suck the slime coat off the goldfish.

Although a guy at my work has a 5in Pleco in with his Comets. (Overstocked tank). He says he gives the Pleco algae wafers and he leaves the fish alone. Either way its a risk.

If you are just worried about algae you could try live plants or a snail or both. Plus my Goldfish love to eat my Anacharis and Cabomba. Since the are omnivores it's good to give them a variety.

Comets are also fast enough to avoid most plecos.

I have never had any issues with bristlenose, whether it is discus or the slowest fancy goldfish they have never bothered anything including plants.

Fishguy2727 said:
Comets are also fast enough to avoid most plecos.

I have never had any issues with bristlenose, whether it is discus or the slowest fancy goldfish they have never bothered anything including plants.

Mine are slow lumbering Moors. One lost sight in one eye (like a cataract) but can't say it was the CAE, although that same one has a scar the shape of the CAE's mouth on its side and that's when it went back to my LFS.

Back
Top Bottom