farming snails???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Basically, yes. Though that is if you are just interested in doing a snail farm or Pond snails or Malaysian Trumpet snails, but if it's the snails like Nerite or Apple/Mystery, than no it would not.

PHP said:
Basically, yes. Though that is if you are just interested in doing a snail farm or Pond snails or Malaysian Trumpet snails, but if it's the snails like Nerite or Apple/Mystery, than no it would not.

The bowl would work with nerites, they would just have to take out the baby snails more often. And it would be harder to keep in good water conditions because you have to add marine salt.

if you want to raise them for assassin food, I'd get a few ramshorns, they breed like crazy. In my 10G breeding tank(for pleco babies/raising), I got around 50 snails within 2 weeks after adding 6(hitched a ride from my LFS)

just put those in a bowl and in a few weeks you will have many;)

I think they are just trying to build their snail colony back up... IMO the easiest snail to breed is pond snail because basically you put one in a tank, and in a while there will be baby snails. I but they can become a pest. I however, I with assassin snails that shouldn't be a problem.

fishnewbe420 said:
One last thing correct me if I'm wrong but snails would have little to no bio load right

It really depends on the size and type of snails, apple snails or mystery snails can get quite large and have a fairly big bioload IME and they eat non stop but nerite snails don't get that big and have a much smaller bioload. :)

fishnewbe420 said:
Ill be going with mts. If that helps

I don't believe they have a huge bioload but I wouldn't overfeed in my experience with snails especially mts they are a great scavenger snail and will eat just about anything but if you overfeed you can have a rather large population explosion + more food means more poo and more bioload. :)

I have a 10 gal algae tank ( it gets a lot of sunlight) set up just for snails and I have a few yunnailus cruciatus loaches and believe me there's plenty of algae lol! And the snails LOVE it they never seem to run out of algae to eat and the only thing I put in there for the snails is a shelled pea or a green bean about once a week. I got tired of always fighting algae in the tank since it does get a lot of sunlight and I don't really have anywhere else to move the tank so I finally decided to stop fighting the algae and turn it into an all snail tank except for the little loaches. :)

Back
Top Bottom