Fast Current Fishies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jratuszn

Aquarium Advice Freak
Can anyone recommend some relatively small, preferably hardy, and ideally colorful fish that enjoy a pretty fast current? (wow- talk about specific) They'd be in a pool in my paludarium about the size of a 5 gal tank.

Thanks!

-Jeff

I was thinking zebra danios. Not very colorful, but definately fast swimmers. Tiger barbs are a good suggestion, Pacu Guy

Will either of these fish be able to tolerate a fairly strong current (I imagine it'd be similar to a 200 gph pump on a 10g tank 8O Ya....

If fish wouldn't work in this environment, what about shrimp?

I'm working on a setup in a 70 gal tank. I've just finished siliconing a load of lava rock covering the back and sides of the tank. Part of the rockwork forms a pool at the top of the tank which empties thru a small stram and then a waterfall into the main tank. The water is supplied to this pool by the return from my canister filter (max around 250 gph).

I plan to stock the main tank with piranha, but would like to have some sort of feeder fish, or possibly just an interesting/colorful fish to enhance the aesthetics of this upper pool. I will do as much as I can (put plants in the pool, line the bottom with riccia- I think that would look nice :) ) to slow down the current, but as it's basically the return from the pump, it'll never be as slow as most normal tanks.

I have heard of river tank setups, which seem similar to this, and was wondering if there were specific types of fish which normally come from, and enjoy such fast-flowing water.

So there's the whole story - sorry about the novel :oops: Any suggestions?

-Jeff

Wow. What ever happened to just putting fish into water? Just kidding. It's people like you who make hobbies interesting. You sound like when you get into something, you jump right in there! Good for you.

You will have to see how fast the water moves up there. If it always is running full blast, the fish will probably exhaust themselves to death. If you can make it so at least part of it is somewhat calm, you may be able to house some fish in there.

Man, I've never done anything like this, so I can't really advise you on this one. I'm willing to bet 98% of the users here haven't either.

I could suggest that you set it all up, get a feeder goldfish and see if it's possible for a fish to live in it, then try to get something fancy/colorful.

Wow........

I finally got my girlfriend's digital camera and took some pictures of the finished rockwork last night. I'll try to post them in my gallery this evening.

I'll add more of the tank with actual water and a substrate in it (and eventually plants and fish :p ) once I move into my new apartment.

Thanks for the advice!

-Jeff

Okay Guys!

I've posted the pictures of the finished rock-work in my gallery. I also measured the volume of the pool in the upper corner, and it's just shy of 4 gallons. I've been looking around, and have been thinking about getting a loach to put up there (maybe a kuhli or chinese weather loach). Their natural habitats are fast running streams, so they seem perfect for the job.

Any Feedback?

-Jeff

White Cloud Mountain Minnows. They originated in China from fast flowing streams. Mine love to play in the current. Good colors too, red with goldish stripe. Babies have a blue stripe, it turns gold as they age. Usually inexpensive too.

Hillstream loaches love current, but I don't know how easy they are to come by, or their other requirements. Something to look into. Sounds like a really great project you have here!

Back
Top Bottom