Fasting?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fintastic

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've read a good deal that a number of people fast their tank every so often. Is this right? How often? Is this trying mimicking nature's on and off rhythms?

Be good to hear your thoughts on this?

Neill

Yes. Fasting your tank helps by reducing the amount of food you put in the aquarium, which in turn helps reduce the risk of algae, and various types of pests.

It helps your fish clean out their systems, which reduces constipation, which in turn helps with their overall health.

I usually feed my fish a de-shelled thawed out pea before fasting them for a day.

I have also heard of aquarists feeding very small amounts throughout the day, each day. Like you mentioned, mimicking how fish in nature feeds.

I tried feeding my fish peas the other day because I was so curious after seeing it recommended so many times... Sure enough, they loved it! Specially the Bettas. Then I fasted them the next day and no one seemed put out by it. Even the Bettas didn't do their "we're starving feed us" thing. Definitely going to make a routine of it.

I feed all of my tanks every other day. I've found that the vast majority of fish are scavengers so using this method really keeps my tank (and theirs) clean.

For my active fish, then I feed 6 days a week with 1 day for fasting (or on a day that I can't make it home).

For my unactive fish, I feed once 3-4 days per week.

It really depends on the type of fish and what you are trying to accomplish. If you are doing a grow out and want rapid growth, you feed lots and don't miss any days. Some large mature fish don't need to be fed every day if they are well fed when they are fed. I never intentionally miss a feeding.

I agree with BillD- it depends on the type of fish and what you want to accomplish with them. With the exception of a wk vacation in the summer, my guys are very well fed because they are being conditioned for future breeding. They always have some fruits & veggies to munch on as well because i do not want devouring my plants. Do your research & figure out what works best for your fish! :)

Back
Top Bottom