Fat female rosy barb

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

I know these are egg layers, but do the females get fat before they lay their eggs? sorry if i sound ignorant, i was just wondering if maybe she held them and then spawned or does she lay them on something and then the male fertilizes them. My female looks kinda fat in the belly and i thought this might be it.

It is possible that she is carrying eggs, but that doesn't guarantee that you will have fry though. Most fish first spawn on a piece of rock, on leaves, on glass or on wood. Then the male fertilizes the eggs. Some species have variations, but I haven't heard of eggs being fertilized inside the fish, and then laying them. Livebearers do spawn free-swimming fry, so they do get fertilized internally. But barbs don't.
HTH!

thats what i figured, she was carrying eggs, and then the male will fertilize, i just didnt' know if they got fat while they carried the eggs or if she was like bloated or something

so she's still fat... looks fatter, but none of the other fish are bloated, should i add some epsom salt in case she is constipated or something? I don't think its dropsy

Well, A picture would be more easy to tell from whether she is sick or just carrying eggs. If she just looks fat and acting normal it's probably eggs, if it's a part that is really sticking out it may be bloat. Hard to judge. You could first try to feed some peas, just in case she is constipated. I don't know about epson salt treatment for constipation, someone else will have to advice on that.

i posted the question in sick fish as well, i only have a camera phone and she wont stay still long enought to get a decent pic.

Back
Top Bottom