Fat Gourami and Odd Coloring

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gouramii

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello I've got a problem with my honey gourami and two of my dwarf gouramis.

I went camping for three days and left my fish with their light off and I dropped a piece of 5-day tetra feed into the tank for them to have something to eat. I came back today and my honey is as fat as can be and my two dwarfs have what it looks like black bellies (including their anal fins).

What on earth happened while I was away?

Oh the dwarf's colors are returning gradually with the light back on. Does that have something to do with it?

They ate too much if the five day feeder is gone. If you are only going for a few days I would feed before you leave and they should be fine. Don't feed them for a few days and see if it gets better. I'm no expert though, maybe someone with more experience can chime in.

I agree with skiweeangel. For future reference, those feeders aren't so great. Your fish will be fine for a few days, or else try to get a fish sitter.
They are probably bloated. Try feeding them a few shelled, cooked, insalted peas.
BTW, did you get a bigger tank? Just curious because I thought you were going to return them all except for 1 dg.
The feeder stone also probaly fouled up your water, so you should test your water parameters. You may be having water quality issues also.

^^ Good advice. Do a good sized water change (50%) and vacuum the substrate to get any remaining food out, test the water afterwards and do another pwc if any ammonia, nitrite or nitrates over 10 are showing.

Don't feed the fish or two days and then feed them a thawed, de-shelled, unsalted frozen pea (fish can go a week to 10 days without eating, so they won't starve :)). If they are bloated from being overfed this will help. If they aren't better after that, let us know b/c then we'll have to look at other causes.

I agree with skiweeangel. For future reference, those feeders aren't so great. Your fish will be fine for a few days, or else try to get a fish sitter.
They are probably bloated. Try feeding them a few shelled, cooked, insalted peas.
BTW, did you get a bigger tank? Just curious because I thought you were going to return them all except for 1 dg.
The feeder stone also probaly fouled up your water, so you should test your water parameters. You may be having water quality issues also.

I couldn't return them on Friday (for that was when I was leaving) so I am returning them tomorrow for sure.

I completed the 50% water change and siphon. I also took the carbon (bead things) out of my filter because I read on another website to do so. Is this action correct to do? The sponge is still located in the filter.

And next time, I am DEFINITELY not using that 5-day stuff. My honey probably ate the whole thing, by the looks of him.

I couldn't return them on Friday (for that was when I was leaving) so I am returning them tomorrow for sure.

I completed the 50% water change and siphon. I also took the carbon (bead things) out of my filter because I read on another website to do so. Is this action correct to do? The sponge is still located in the filter.

And next time, I am DEFINITELY not using that 5-day stuff. My honey probably ate the whole thing, by the looks of him.
As far as the carbon, I leave mine in, but I know some people take it out. The theory is that the carbon is only necessary to take toxins out, but a good healthy tank revolves around beneficial bacteria building up, so the carbon isn't necessary. I don't think it hurts anything, so I leave mine in. Its up to you. :)
You might want to make sure your gouramis look good again before giving them back. Some stores euthanize fish that don't look good rather than treat them. That depends on your lfs, just a thought. :) But, once they look less bloated, I would try to give them back later this week.

As far as the carbon, I leave mine in, but I know some people take it out. The theory is that the carbon is only necessary to take toxins out, but a good healthy tank revolves around beneficial bacteria building up, so the carbon isn't necessary. I don't think it hurts anything, so I leave mine in. Its up to you. :)
You might want to make sure your gouramis look good again before giving them back. Some stores euthanize fish that don't look good rather than treat them. That depends on your lfs, just a thought. :) But, once they look less bloated, I would try to give them back later this week.

Nope, all the dwarfs look healthy (the odd colouring disappeared) but the only one bloated is my one honey. He's the only one I'm treating.

I am also feeding them flakes... Should I transfer over to pellets?

Nope, all the dwarfs look healthy (the odd colouring disappeared) but the only one bloated is my one honey. He's the only one I'm treating.

I am also feeding them flakes... Should I transfer over to pellets?
Since they were all fine except for gorging on the feeder stone, don't worry about it. :)

Back
Top Bottom