Fat Platy - Pregnant - Fat - Swimbladder - Ill>>> HELP!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HollieDahhrlinn

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey,
I bought a platy from my LPS after returning a male paradise fish,
I have another 2 platy's but this one is alot longer and alot older than i one's i added previous to her. She is deffo female.
She is quite round and i wondered if i bought a pregnant female?
She is constantly lying down on the bottom of the tank & only moves when the other fish chase her, is she pregnant, or does she have some sort of illness??
She isnt coming up for food either? None of my fish have come for food this morning??
Please Help Me! x :confused:

How much/often do you feed them? And everyone on here is going to want to know your tank parameters, (i.e ammonia, nitrite and nitrate).

Is this the 4 g tank that you have posted about before? What are your water parameters? I would be really concerned that none of them are eating. The new fish could have brought in a disease, or you could be having an ammonia or nitrite spike.

Hey,
My other fish are eating,
They are eating just fine!
Its just this one particular fish, she is just bobbing on the bottom of the tank and only comes up to the top of the tank every now and again and plays with the other fish.
But - she isnt getting fatter i dont believe but its early days.

Whitedevil - what is SWD.
It is a 4gallon with 3 platys, 1 female paradise and a sucking loach.
My other fish are fine :)

Thanks x

Hey,
I bought a platy from my LPS after returning a male paradise fish,
I have another 2 platy's but this one is alot longer and alot older than i one's i added previous to her. She is deffo female.
She is quite round and i wondered if i bought a pregnant female?
She is constantly lying down on the bottom of the tank & only moves when the other fish chase her, is she pregnant, or does she have some sort of illness??
She isnt coming up for food either? None of my fish have come for food this morning??
Please Help Me! x :confused:

Hey,
My other fish are eating,
They are eating just fine!
Its just this one particular fish, she is just bobbing on the bottom of the tank and only comes up to the top of the tank every now and again and plays with the other fish.
But - she isnt getting fatter i dont believe but its early days.

Whitedevil - what is SWD.
It is a 4gallon with 3 platys, 1 female paradise and a sucking loach.
My other fish are fine :)

Thanks x

Your post is confusing, so now the other fish are eating fine?

SWD is swim bladder disease.

What are your water parameters?

Yes,
The rest are now eating fine ecxept this one fish??
Sometimes she will eat and sometimes she wont?
She was fat like this when they gave me her, i didnt get to pick her - i just asked for a female.
This is an image of her - she is swimming normally so i was doubtful if it was SWD??
Here take a look :)
img_1047199_0_6bab55176df5469bd25539a75f2732c3.jpg

You should google "gravid spot" on platies...
It appears that she is pregnant, if that is indeed a gravid spot on her. (eyes of the live babies that she is carrying)

Shes pregnant and by her squarish shape and large dark gravid spot she looks like she could have her fry soon.

Are you testing your water? I don't mean to sound brash here, we have asked you to post your water parameters so we can help you through your cycle with your small tank. Your next post could be why are my fry/fish dying if your parameters are spiking :).

Blueiz - i am purchasing a testing kit probably tomorrow evening.
I will post the results to you ASAP.

I do not have anywhere to move her for the duration of her pregnancy if this is the cause of her roundness, how long until she has her fry?
Like i say i have no-where to move her, i have another male platy in the tank, and 3 female fish, 2 platy and 1 paradise and also a sucking loach.

What do i do?
Help??
HollieDahhrlinn x

Hey,
My fish does appear to be pregnant but...
My male platy is annoying the life out of her! Chasing her around and trying to
what i looks like - suck on her scales??
Weird??
Please help - i cant move her anywhere else, i have been adviced by my LPS to keep her in the tank and let nature take its course if i cannot move her,
Is this okay??

Please Reply ASAP she looks like she's gunna pop!!
HollieDahhrlinn x

You could possibly pick up a little breeder container that hangs in the tank. I don't remember what it's called lol. And put her, or him in there until it's safe. Make sure you get a liquid test kit, the strips are garbage. Most of us on here use the API Master Freshwater Test Kit, easy to use and lasts forever for about $20. Good luck!

two problems with a breeder trap... first they stress the fish out and most of the time kill the fish... second, it would take up half the tank on such a small tank

So either way she's scr****? Stressed out from the male, or he's stressed out from being in the breeder box? Maybe she should get a divider then?

Well,
I am happy to announce that since shortly after replying yesterday evening,
My platy gave birth!
So far she has dropped around 20 and 4/5 have survived,
Could i put the my other fish in an un-filtered bucket afer using the stress zyme and stress coat???
Just for afew days to let her rest??

HollieDahhrlinn x

Congrats mom lol! Glad there was nothing serious going on with her and she will be alright! I don't have an answer about the tank situation though.

Congrats mom lol! Glad there was nothing serious going on with her and she will be alright! I don't have an answer about the tank situation though.

Thanks, they are eating all the fry,
would this be possible to move them into a un-filtered tank and leave mum and fry in the filtered tank??

Holliedahhrlinn x

Back
Top Bottom