Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-31-2014, 10:21 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Fat tetra keeps stuffing her face

We have six glofish tetras (white skirts). Every time we feed them one of them makes amad dash to stuff itself. Lately we have noticed that this fish is getting a bit bloated compared to the others. I'm not sure what to do... I have been thinking about taking it out of the tank sometimes when I feed the rest. On the other hand I have read that maybe she is just full of eggs (which would explain the overeating too I guess). How can I tell which is the case? I don't know whether she is actually female.

Old 01-31-2014, 10:24 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

following. I have a neon that does the same thing, and a poor little guy who barely eats at all...

venymae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 11:09 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

When I feed my community with tetras I put my hand in the water and move it around to scare them off and not let them just sit there and eat it all. It helps.
Old 02-01-2014, 12:04 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

The basic (and not super reliable) way to tell neon sex is, the females have a lightly curved blue line while the males have a strait one.
Old 02-01-2014, 12:07 PM   #5
Great white snark

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by venymae View Post
The basic (and not super reliable) way to tell neon sex is, the females have a lightly curved blue line while the males have a strait one.
These aren't neon tetras that the OP is talking about, these are glo-tetras, the genetically altered white skirts.

AA ToS
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/misc.php?do=sknetwork&page=tos
DragonFish71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 12:12 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Whoops! My bad. Guess I need to read better
Old 02-01-2014, 01:09 PM   #7
Adipose Fins Are Cool!

It's a good idea to make the fish fast one day a week. Seems it lets their digestive tracts clear out. Fish in the wild hardly ever get to eat everyday. (Hmmmm, having mad thoughts about Ex Lax about now). OS.

Tags
fin, tetra

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com