Favorite Bottom Dweller?????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Feynman

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am looking for a few community fish that live on the bottom of the tank and are relatively easy to care for. I could probably add 5 inches of fish. I already have an upsidedown catfish so whatever I get they have to be able to tolerate that guy living down there too.

Any suggestions that I should look up??? :D

Thanks

I have a 38 gal tank with an african butterfly fish, an african brown knife fish, misc tetras, and that upsidedown catfish.

1 African Butterfly = 4"
1 African Brown Knifefish = 8" (fully grown, its like 5" now)
3 red minor tetras
3 bloodfin tetras
3 zebra danios
3 little orange fish unknown species (These may get moved to another tank)
1 upsidedown catfish = 3" (fully grown, its maybe 1.5" now)

I don't want the tank to get too crowded, but the butterfly fish stays at the surface and the knifefish hangs around the middle, so I was thinking there was some more room on the bottom for a couple fish.

I would suggest khuli loaches, but I don't know if the catfish will eat them like spaghetti. What about a small pleco--the rubberlip (face, nose), clown or bristlenose pleco might be what you are looking for! Check people's galleries for pics.

I've seen the African Brown Knife (Xenomystus nigri) reach nearly a foot and have one right now that is pushing 8 inches. Be careful what you put in with him....they are predatory, after all and any small fish will likely eventually become a snack. The upside-down cat (probably Synodontis nigriventris if it is the most commonly available species) won't be a problem for fish that aren't ridiculously smaller than they are and wouldn't be a threat to kuhli loaches at that size anyway.

The only problem with kuhli loaches is that you will probably never see them. You might, however, consider some of the other smaller loaches like the Yo-Yo loach (Botia almorhae) or the Marbled Loach (Botia kubotai). You could also think about some of the smaller cichlids like the 'kribensis' (Pelvicachromis pulcher) or even Rams (Microgeophagus ramirezi). While not strictly bottom-dwellers...the small cichlids have a tendency to spend most of their time near the bottom or hanging around any kind of decorations you have.

Oh...by the way...where in Texas are you??

Hope this helps! :D

I'm going to make everyone jealous by saying that I see my khulis all the time!! (The secret is having 13 in a 50 gal tank :wink:)

Thanks for the suggestions everyone!!

I'll look into these and see what I can find.

Fruitbat -- I'm close to you... I live in Dallas

I personally love Cory's. I have 4 peppered and 2 bronze cory's and they are just so interesting to watch. They are constantly working and I get to see them all the time. They are extremely peaceful and don't bother anyone. They do their thing and leave everyone else alone. :D

corycats and plecos. i also love my horseface loaches, but you can only have so many bottom dwellers, and my pleco has made such an amazing difference in keeping the algae down. i won't be without a pleco again.

I second the yo-yo loaches!!!

In fact, if you were to do a search of my posts, you will find me recommending these guys all the time! :) Yo-yo loaches shouldn't get much bigger than 4-5", are EXTREMELY active and fun to watch, and are not aggressive to any of my other fish whatsoever.

And you needn't worry about anybody bothering them. They have retractable 'blades' behind their eyes, and if anyone else were to attack them, they'd have a fight on their hands. That's why I like them so much. They don't mess with anyone else, but they won't take crap from anyone either. The only thing about them is I have found they do best in groups of 3. One might get a little 'hermity' on his own, 2 will squabble, and 3 get along.

Paul

Also at the LFS they keep upside down catfish with corys, and they are a pretty reliable source for fish info. so I do believe they are quite compatible.

Back
Top Bottom