Favorite Chloramine Remover?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JeffNebraska

Aquarium Advice Regular
The nightly news in the SF Bay Area announced that they are now adding chloromine to the tap water here. I've always relied on Stress Coat to handle chloramine, but now I feel like I should step up to something meatier.

Does anyone have a favorite Chloramine remover they'd like to recommend?

Thanks.

The experts at the Greater City Aquarium Society in NYC (and they really are experts) recommend AmQuel. I've only ever used Wardley's and TLC (Tender Living Care).

InstaChlor. Cheap and only works on chlorine and chloramine (the less chemicals in what I add to my tanks the better IMHO).

Kent Chlorinex is what I use and it's worked great so far. One thing I should point out here is that the active ingredient in most dechlorinators is sodium thiosulfate. Sodium thiosulfate neutralizes chlorine. Chloramine is a complex of chlorine and ammonia. The sodium thiosulfate breaks the bond between chlorine and ammonia. Once the bond is broken, the chlorine is neutralized...but the ammonia remains. You might want to check your water for ammonia before using it in the tank. If your tank has a pH over 7, the ammonia could pose a problem if you do large water changes. You may end up having to use something to bind up the ammonia depending on the concentration.

Bio-safe and Bio-coat for water changes, Amquel for ammonia related problems only if I can't do an immediate water change.

Back
Top Bottom