favorite family

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

what family of FW fish do you like most

• Cyprinids

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Characins

• Cichlids

• Anabantids

• Killifishes

• Catfishes

• Loaches

• Livebearers

• Coldwater

• Plecos

• Others

• Total voters
Is killi swahili then? I would think so. Killi isn't a dutch word, that's for sure, does it have an English meaning? Stroomvissen does make sense Toirtis :wink:
That would mean as much as streamfish in English.
What's the natural habbitat for killifish? Streams? (Not trying to be a smart*** here, just trying to understand :D )

Sorry for going a wee bit off-topic here DARK Jak :oops:

its alright im just saying what i read in a book Aquarium Fish by Dick Mills
"Killi is a Dutch word meaning "steam" or "brook", but the 300 killifish members of the family Cyprinodontidae infact inhabit a great variety of waters. These include ephemeral ponds, brackish marshes, lakes and rivers of the Americas, Africa, Asia, and warmer parts of Europe. Their small, cylindrical bodies have upturned mouths for surface feeding."
thats right out of the book on page 39 under KILLIFISHES.
i may be wrong but that means the book is wrong. :oops:

I don't *know* .... but my Oxford dictonary <considered to be the authority on English words> says regarding origin of "killifish":

"perhaps from kil (Dutch for stream) + FISH"

> note they use kil as the root not killi.

So they don't know for sure either! :D

Ok.....you guys are right, I looked it up in the Van Dale (Dutch dictionairy). Kil does indeed mean something along the lines of stream. It just isn't used in that meaning anymore nowadays. Must be ancient dutch :p . Kil also means chilly; cold in Dutch, and that's the only way that word is used nowadays, so that's why I didn't believe you :oops:
Sorry! :D

Back
Top Bottom