Favorite Freshwater Community Tank Size

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What do you think is the best size, generally, for a freshwater community aquarium?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

jim692

Aquarium Advice Freak
What do you think is the overall best size tank for a freshwater community aquarium?

The reasons for your choice would be highly appreciated.

Thank You.

My favorite tank for my community fish is my 135 gal planted tank. I can have a very large variety of community fish as well as a large variety of bottom feeders.

I like my 150g (60x24x24 i know, weird size lol). It really doesnt take up much more room than a 55g but gives me almost 3X the volume of water. Mine isnt really a community, but i do have several different mbuna in there. 75g tanks are nice too, as well as the 40g breeder setups. IMO, its really all about space, the types of fish you want, and how much money you want to invest in it.

I voted for the 120gal long. The bigger the tank, the better imo! Most fish (aside from angel fish) prefer longer swim space vs. height...so I think the 120 long would be a bit more fish friendly, and it gives you the option to stock it with a variety of fish and still have lots of space. :)

available room and money to spend have always been the main fatcors

But larger tanks are easier to care for overall. But with that being said if you set up correctly any size is okay. I love my 70 and my 125, but the 150 or 180 would be nicer (got a deal on my 125)

Thanks for all the responses to this thread.
I find it very informative to not only see how the tank selections are spread out, but the reasoning for the size you picked.
I know it has helped me, (and hopefully others), select a size that will fit the use.
Please keep the recommendations coming.

But larger tanks are easier to care for overall.

Thats one of the funny things of keeping aquariums...but it is very true. I can tell from experience that bigger is always better. Not only do bigger aquariums look a lot more striking than smaller ones (most of the time anyway), but they are much easier to take care of than smaller ones. The variety of fish that can live in a larger tank is also a lot more than with smaller tanks.

To anyone planning to start an aquarium; Take it from those of us who started out way too small - Get the largest aquarium you can afford. I dare even say don't start with anything less than a 20 gallon. Such a small body of water is easily affected by a buildup of nasties

i like big tanks. i think 75gal +/- is nice for a established community but i think a 40 or 50gal would be nice aswell. i think a 120+ would be HUGE! when i think of community tanks i think of neons, rummynose etc, small fish and just think a huge tank with these in it is overkill. if anyone has a 90gal+ community tank id love to see pics, maybe id change my mind.

I agree with Nadine, get a big tank to start, i bought a 40gal to start and within a few months i bought a 120, then a 72 bowfront a few months after, then a 40gal for breeding. make sure u dont cheep out on the filter too! just remember to find out if your floor (if its not a basement concrete floor) can hold the weight, i had to reinforce mine for a 120gal.

I see the poll has closed, but my favorite size for a nice, tropical, community aquarium would be the 30 gallon.

It's not too big, but big enough to have a lot of different fish.

I have a 20g and I find it hard to stock as my options are so limited.

Back
Top Bottom